Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Basic recipe but a crowd-pleaser



Stuffing Topped Chicken Bake
Busy Woman’s Cookbook 3 and 4 Ingredient Recipes Copyright 2000

1 (6 ounce) package stuffing mix I used the 50% less sodium variety
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (10 3/4 –ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
½ cup sour cream I used lite sour cream

Fix stuffing mix following directions on box. Set aside and place chicken breasts in 13x9-inch baking dish. Mix soup and sour cream. Pour over chicken. Spoon stuffing evenly over top. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. (I covered it when I baked it intially. Then, when I reheated for dinner, I baked it uncovered so the stuffing would get crispy.)

Makes 4 servings.
________________

This was a great recipe to make ahead of time. It was probably even better baked ahead since the chicken had more time to absorb the flavor of the sauce. It was so simple. It took almost no time to put together and it shared oven time with the pork roast on Sunday. I'm getting better at this cooking ahead thing. I wasn't feeling overwhelmed this Sunday at all.

Stove-Top makes a 50% less sodium version of their stuffing which I was happy to see since I somehow ended up with the full-sodium version of cream of mushroom soup. I rarely buy boxed stuffing so I don't know how long the lower sodium version has been out there on the market. They even have a whole wheat version but unfortunately I didn't see a whole wheat, lower sodium version.

I'll be making this again since it was so easy and everyone liked it. I don't want to put canned soup and boxed stuffing on the table every night but a recipe like this will give be a bit of breathing room every once and a while. Hey, it's a starch and protein all in one!

Question of the Day: Do you ever buy boxed stuffing mix?

3 comments:

Heather said...

Yes, my kids love it. I used to love it but I have celiac so... darn "cream of" soups all have wheat in them too so that cuts out a lot of the classic recipes, but I do make things for my kids that I can't eat so I still enjoy this kind of recipe. I know they would really like this one.

Anonymous said...

I buy it occasionally to have in the pantry. It sometimes comes in handy as a good go-with side. I don't use it on a regular basis, though. This recipe sounds really good and one I'll make for sure.

Jan

Wanda said...

Yes, not too often, but like Jan said, it makes a good side dish to have on hand.