Wednesday, February 18, 2009

More from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives



Mom’s Meatloaf
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Copyright 2008

1 egg
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 onion, very finely chopped
1 pound ground beef
¾ cup bread crumbs
¾ cup ketchup

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the egg, 3 tablespoons water, the Worcestershire, horseradish, mustard, salt, pepper and onion. Add the beef and bread crumbs and use your hands to quickly and thoroughly combine. Gently press the mixture into a 1.5 quart glass (Pyrex) loaf pan. Spread the ketchup over the top and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. I baked it ahead of time then I sliced it and grilled it on the Griddler when we were ready to eat it.

Makes 4 servings.
_________________________________

I already have a few good meat loaf recipes but that doesn't stop me from trying more of them. I like this recipe because it only calls for 1 pound of ground beef and I usually freeze my ground beef into 1 pound portions. Many meat loaf recipes call for 1 1/2 pounds of ground meat.

This was definitely a meat loaf recipe that I would make again. I liked the little kick from the horseradish. My son loved it. He said that I make the 'bestest meat'. I'm beginning to think he's a bit of a kiss-ass.

I always grill my meat loaf so I can't say how this recipe would be straight out of the pan. I like the added flavor that it gets from being grilled on the Griddler.

I hope there are more Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives books coming. I would like to see more recipes in future editions but even though this one doesn't have all that many, the recipes it has are winners.

Question of the Day: Would you ever order meat loaf in a restaurant? As much as I love it, I can't see ordering it in a restaurant.

12 comments:

Wanda said...

I was just thinking of meatloaf yesterday. I love it, but my husband doesn't. Yes, I do order it in restaurants/cafes whenever I see it on the menu, despite my mother's warning to NEVER order meatloaf in a cafe. She said that once long ago when I got sick on the same day I ate it at a cafe. She blamed the meatloaf since she thought they probably made it with all the old food they wanted to get rid of. ;)

Not a Career Girl said...

Yes - it's hard to come by here in the UK, but there is a sandwich shop in Cardiff, the New York Deli, that does a mean meatloaf sandwhich, with Swiss cheese and bacon and plenty of ketchup - you have to be there early to get it, otherwise it sells out. Oof, I'm hungry now!

Kristin said...

grilling meatloaf sounds like a wonderful idea! i'll have to keep that in mind!

Jennifer said...

This is going to sound crazy, but I've never made meatloaf. My kids, I would bet, have never even tasted it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're trying all these recipes from DD&D! I can't wait to try this one too.
I don't think I've ever ordered meatloaf at a diner as I'm usually going for specials or a burger.

Unknown said...

I do crave meatloaf every once and a while too. This one sounds yummy!

Heather said...

Oh yeah! I love this cookbook. I have only made one recipe but it was good, now I will try this one. I love meatloaf and have found a few at restaurants that I have enjoyed, but I really like it at home.

Unknown said...

nope! I don't really make it that often but I would if someone I loved liked it.

Heather said...

Oh I would, meatloaf is a long-standing comfort food for me - my mom's was the best - and it's one thing I know my kids will eat without complaint!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love meatloaf. It's one thing DH is not too fond of.(Wanda, did we marry brothers or something??) So, I don't make it often at home.

Jan

DancesInGarden said...

Not usually. Our meatloaf is a version with a brown, mushroom gravy. Most places make the ketchup/bbq sauce style. Plus it's usually mushy and weird LOL. If I were to eat it, I would make it at home.

Sara said...

i also freeze my ground beef in 1 lb packages, and i agree that it can be hard to find meatloaf recipes that only call for 1 lb. i have ordered meatloaf twice in restaurants - one was a fennel/carrot/pork one and one was made with kobe beef.