Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Not a looker but pretty darn good


Harvest Kielbasa
Fix –It and Forget-It Big Cookbook Copyright 2008

2 lbs. smoked kielbasa I used lite
3 cups unsweetened applesauce I used chunky and it was sweetened
½ cup brown sugar I used less
3 medium onions, sliced

1. Slice kielbasa into ¼-inch slices. Brown in skillet. Drain.
2. Combine applesauce and brown sugar.
3. Layer kielbasa, onions and applesauce mixture in slow cooker.
4. Cover. Cook on Low 4-8 hours.
_____________________

This isn't the most attractive dish but I really enjoyed the blend of flavors. My husband must have enjoyed it too since he didn't even leave any leftovers and usually he leaves something behind for me to take for lunch. My son wasn't into it. He likes applesauce but he just didn't care for it.

I wasn't overly thrilled with the other Fix-It and Forget-It book that I own so why did I buy this book? Who knows? I'm an enigma. I'm drawn to some cookbooks and often I have regrets later but so far I'm not regretting this one. It's not as slapdash as the other book. There's less repetition of recipes. It's organized a bit better. And it's huge!

Question of the Day: Do you eat leftovers? I'm always amazed when people say that they won't eat leftovers. I love leftovers. I especially love when I find some random leftover that I forgot about in the freezer and I get to enjoy it all over again.

7 comments:

Annie Jones said...

We love leftovers around here and I enough so we can have them. We find that so many dishes taste much better after a day or so in the fridge than they do straight out of the pot or oven.

Annie Jones said...

Sorry, I meant to write "I cook enough so we can have them."

Jennifer said...

I love leftovers of some things, like soup, lasagna, always better the second day, it seems. Other things, especially meat, seem not to get eaten unless I make something new of them (like turning leftover turkey into turkey and noodles or leftover ham into an omelet)

Anonymous said...

We love it when there are leftovers to have for lunch the next day. In fact, I'm disappointed when we polish off the entire dinner. (And Phredd, the dog, is disappointed when the leftovers get put in the frig instead of his bowl.)

Jan

Heather said...

Years ago I worked with a young woman who said she and her husband would NEVER eat leftovers. I thought that was weird and I still do! I don't know what I would ever have for lunch if not for leftovers! I agree that so many things taste better the next day too. In fact sometimes I think I should just cook ahead and not eat it the first time, just save it for another day so it will be better.

Anonymous said...

I eat leftovers all the time. With only a half hour for lunch at work there isn't any time to run out and get something. I'm trying to get where I make something different from the leftovers instead of just reheating what I had the day before but that's not easy for me.

Anonymous said...

I think if when you were little and your mom made you eat leftovers and you constantly had to eat the same leftovers over and over again, then you would probably despise leftovers!!! Love the harvest keilbasa by the way!!