Monday, January 03, 2011

My new favorite candy recipe


Crisp Chocolate Truffles
The Ugly Binder, from ricecrispies.com

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme
2 tablespoons margarine and butter
1 package (6 oz., 1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
2 cups Rice Krispies®
1 package (14 oz.) white chocolate coating
2 tablespoons shortening (I used CandiQuick coating, some vanilla, some chocolate, with no shortening since CandiQuick doesn't need it)
Multi-colored sprinkles (optional)

1. In heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine marshmallow creme, margarine and
chocolate morsels. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is
melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.

2. Stir KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal into chocolate mixture, mixing until
thoroughly combined. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto waxed paper-lined
baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. These firm up quickly - you can pretty much handle them right away. I chilled them briefly and then rolled them into smooth balls. Then I chilled them until I was to dip them.

3. In top of double boiler, over hot but not boiling water, melt white coating and
shortening, stirring constantly. Dip each chocolate ball in coating and place on
waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Refrigerate
until firm. Place in small candy paper cups to serve. Store in airtight container.
______________________________

I should have wrapped up the Christmas posts before the new year started but I didn't feel like blogging last week. I only have a couple of new recipes to share. I made a lot of cookies and candies this Christmas but most were tried-and-trues. It's getting hard to fit in any new recipes.

I'm so glad I tried this one. These truffles are so easy to make and personally I loved them. They sort of reminded me of a crispy version of a Three Musketeers. There was absolutely nothing tricky about them. The marshmallow, chocolate and butter melts together magically quickly. I scooped it out easily and evenly with a cookie scoop. The scoops were chilled, rolled into smooth balls, chilled again then dipped- some in vanilla coating, some in chocolate coating.

These will definitely be added to my Christmas line up permanently.

Happy New Year! 2010 reads like it should have been a horrible year for me with the divorce (well, the start of the process - it still hasn't actually happened) and my mom passing away but honestly, I don't feel like it was that bad for some reason. I think the 'big' negatives looming over me just made me work harder to enjoy what I could. Or maybe I am just in denial. I won't lie though - I have higher hopes for 2011.

Question of the Day: How did 2010 go for you? What is your plan for 2011?

3 comments:

Annie Jones said...

These are very much like the Chewy Chocolate Clusters I posted last year, only yours are coated in white chocolate while mine were rolled in coconut. You're right that they are very good!

2010 was ok for us. Nothing earth-shattering happened for the good or the bad. 2011 may not be as good, since my mom's health is failing. Financially, I see it being about the same as 2010 and 2009. We have nothing out of the ordinary planned for the year, although I'd like to make time to do more of the things I enjoy this year, like camping, reading and working on crafts.

Janet said...

I'm glad to hear your 2010 was okay. I had my ups and downs in the year. I was laid off, but I luckily found a job that I like even better.

Marcila Dare said...

They look like Chinese pork buns the first time I saw them! Based on the ingredients, I think I should brush twice after eating choco truffles. Thanks for the recipe - I'll definitely try this at home. I also might try experimenting with it by changing a couple of ingredients!