Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Out of hibernation


Spiced Sweet Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
from the Ugly Binder, most likely from allrecipes.com

1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley I skipped this

1. In an electric blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas, red peppers, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Process, using long pulses, until the mixture is fairly smooth, and slightly fluffy. Make sure to scrape the mixture off the sides of the food processor or blender in between pulses. I used my immersion blender. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (The hummus can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before serving.)
2. Sprinkle the hummus with the chopped parsley before serving.

Makes about 2 cups
______________________________

This recipe is from my pre-blogging days. It's been tucked away in my ugly binder, never out of my mind, but it's so hard to find tahini around here. Not even just around here - I looked in stores near my parents too and could never find it. I finally remembered to pick some up when I was in Wegman's a few weeks ago. I think I paid over $7 for a jar of organic tahini but I can make 18 batches of hummus with that tahini. There were slightly cheaper options but this one appealed to me the most.

Everything else in this is inexpensive. I got a 24 ounce jar of roasted peppers for $2.39 (store brand). The beans were 75 cents (for name brand on sale, the store brand are even cheaper). I bought lemons at Costco. I figured this cost about $2 to make 2 cups. That isn't bad for hummus.

Many hummus recipes call for oil but this one is oil-free and I don't miss the oil. I am crazy about this stuff. CRAZY! Love it, love it, love it! It's great on a whole wheat tortilla, with roasted veggies, made into a wrap. I can't believe I let this recipe hibernate for so long.

When I was in the Ugly Binder, I pulled a few recipes out. My poor Ugly Binder gets ignored. It doesn't grow very much since although I bookmark recipes quite often, I rarely print one out anymore. Most of the recipes predate my time on the internet or I printed them out in the early days. I think it's about time that I try some of these recipe out that have been in there for 15 years.

6 comments:

MANDI said...

Yum! That does look good. I might have to pop that recipe away to make soon.

Annie Jones said...

I spent a lot of time over the weekend going through my recipe card files and some clipped recipes. There were some in there I'd clipped when my daughter was a baby (she's 26 now) and hadn't tried. Most of those got tossed...I figured if I hadn't tried them by now, I never would. A few more recent ones did get saved, though.

Anonymous said...

I love finding old recipes and believe me, I have a gob of them stuck away. I mean boxes! I really need to take a look and weed them out. Some, though, I will be thrilled to find. Yes, that hummus looks sooo good.

Jan

Randi said...

It would be even cheaper if you cooked your own chickpeas, but those take FOREVER to cook. Cook's Illustrated has an amazing hummus recipe. Does your soon to be ex still eat what you cook?

The Cookbook Junkie said...

You know Randi, I just can't be bothered cooking my own beans and legumes. I know it's cheaper but canned beans are cheap enough for me, in exchange for the convenience.

He still eats the food I buy and will eat what I cook without asking if I happen to cook enough of it and leave it unattended. He will just help himself. I just don't buy anything too expensive that he might like and I don't do as much actual cooking.

idssinfo said...

I found a great deal of helpful information above!