Friday, February 23, 2007

More Rachael Ray



Chicken, Veal or Pork Schnitzel with Red Caraway Cabbage
Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats Copyright 2005

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or thin-cut boneless pork loin chops, or thin-cut boneless veal chops or cutlets I used pork
salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs beaten with a splash of milk or cream
2 cups plain bread crumbs
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
vegetable oil or light-in-color olive oil, for frying, plus 1 tablespoons

CABBAGE
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 green apple, peeled and chopped
½ red cabbage, chopped (about 4 cups)
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 lemon, cut into wedges

If using chicken, butterfly each chicken breast and place between wax paper. For pork, place chops several inches apart between wax paper. For veal, if you have large, thin-cut pieces from the butcher, use as is. If the veal is more than ¼ inch thick, place it between wax paper. Pound the meat until very thin using a small heavy skillet or mallet.

Season the meat with salt and pepper and dust in flour. Beat the eggs and milk or cream in a large shallow dish. Combine the bread crumbs with the nutmeg and more salt and pepper and place on a large plate. Coat the meat in egg, then in crumbs. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium high heat with just enough oil to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil gets wavy looking, add the meat in a single layer and cook until golden on each side, 3 minutes each. Transfer the meat to a plate and repeat, if necessary. Reserve the cooked schnitzel under a loose foil tent.

Meanwhile, heat a second, deep, large nontick skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add about 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil or light olive oil. Add the onions, apples, and cabbage. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and the caraway seeds. Toss and sear the mixture for 5 minutes, then add the vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire and toss to coat and combine the cabbage evenly. Reduce the heat a bit and keep the cabbage going until all the meat is cooked.

Serve the schnitzels with the lemon wedges and a pile of seared red cabbage with caraway alongside.

Makes 4 servings.
_____________________________

I thought I'd try my hand at another Rachael Ray recipe. I thought the pork was very good. It was very tender and I loved the nutmeg in the breading. The cabbage, well sometimes I just don't know if a recipe is lacking or if I wasn't in the mood for something. There was nothing wrong with the cabbage. I like cabbage. This just didn't wow me. My husband seemed to enjoy it so I really think it was just me. Maybe it was because I enjoyed the pork so much and I really didn't want anything else.

I think I need a new cookbook. It's been a few weeks since I got a new cookbook. I have a coupon for Ollie's that expires Sunday, 15% off their already rock bottom prices. I've been waiting for King Arthur's Whole Grain Baking Book from a book club for weeks. It was supposed to ship this week. I'm very anxious to get my hands on that book.

Blast From The Past: Black Magic Banana Cupcakes, from September 2005 - my first post! These might be a good use of those bananas I have sitting on the counter.

Question of the Day: What is the last cookbook you acquired?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been dying to get the King Arthur WG cookbook, too. It's around $23 on amazon right now.
The last cookbook I bought was Cooks Illustrated family favorites. I have made several recipes from it and they have been really good.
Jennifer

sandy said...

This looks like a good recipe. I'll have to get my husband to cook this for me, haha..

Hey, I'm loving your blog here...

I am also a cookbook junkie even though I don't cook much, but I do collect lots of books.

dd/sandy

Red Dirt Mummy said...

I bought two new cookbooks a couple of weeks ago - they were going out at $5 each and I couldn't resist.

Anonymous said...

We just cooked this as part of our attempt to cook everything from the 365 Recipes cook book, in chronological order. I thought it was ok, my husband really liked it. I need to look through your blog and see what else you might have cooked that we have coming up in the future...
I really like your blog.