Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The recipe that stood out
Tomato Salad


Tomato Salad
The All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook Copyright 2006

2 (8-ounce) packages mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes
3 large tomatoes, chopped I used small tomatoes
1 cucumber, chopped
1 cup chopped red onion
½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 cup whole kalamata olives, pitted
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced I used jarred
½ to 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¾ teaspoon salt

Combine first 6 ingredients in a salad bowl; toss gently. Combine oil and remaining ingredients; whisk until blended. Pour desired amount of vinaigrette over salad; toss well. Serve at room temperature.

Makes 6 servings.
______________________

This is the recipe I got the most comments on at my cookout. I enjoyed it but personally I'm not a huge raw tomato fan. I loved the rest of it but tolerated the tomatoes. The cookbook actually pictured this made with small red and yellow tomatoes but I've yet to see those small pear-shaped yellow tomatoes anywhere locally. I used some 'grape' tomatoes that I bought at the auction. They were larger than the grape tomatoes in the supermarket so I don't think they were the same exact variety but I'm not a tomato expert.

I was a bit willy-nilly with this recipe. I used all of the ingredients it called for but I didn't really measure anything (except the vinegar and oil). I specifically used jarred garlic because it's milder. I usually find raw garlic in a salad very overpowering.

This is my contribution to Sweetmick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday this week. This recipe is loaded with antioxidants.

Blast From The Past: Washington State Granny Smith Apple Pie from September 2006. Fall is just around the corner. I should start lining up apple recipes.

Question of the Day: What is your favorite type of salad (lettuce? pasta? potato? vegetable?)

4 comments:

. . . said...

thank you for this! caprese is my favorite type of 'salad,' so this jazzed-up version sounds wonderful. i plan to make it tonight with dinner (minus the olives-- i'm not a fan of those)

ThursdayNext said...

My favorite salad is a waldorf - there is something about apples and walnuts together in a salad that makes me keep eating and eating and eating...
:)

Anonymous said...

I guess I'd go with pasta or potato salad, but it depends on the recipe.

Jan

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight--it was delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I've been looking for a recipe that uses both tomatoes and cucumbers and this was it!