Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A pretty one


BBQ Chicken Twister
The Pampered Chef More Stoneware Sensations Copyright 1999

3 cups cooked chicken, chopped I used raw chicken and cooked it with the veggies
¾ cup celery, sliced
1 cup onion, chopped
¾ cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 ¼ cups barbecue sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cornmeal, divided (optional) I didn't use this
1 package (11.5 ounces) refrigerated cornbread twists I used bread sticks. The cornbread twists have been discontinued.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Chop chicken into bite-size pieces and slice celery using 8” Chef’s Knife. Chop onion and bell pepper using Food Chopper. Melt butter in Generation II 12” Family Skillet over medium heat. Add celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic pressed with Garlic Press to skillet. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Add chicken, barbecue sauce, salt and black pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil, stirring occasionally. Spoon mixture into Deep Dish Baker. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cornmeal over 18” x 12” Grooved Cutting Board. Unroll cornbread twists over cornmeal. Sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Separate dough into strips using Pizza Cutter to cut along perforations. Starting at center of Baker, twist and place half of strips over chicken mixture in spoke-like fashion. Pinch ends of strips together at center. Twist and place remaining strips around edge of Baker. Bake 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Obviously, use the equipment you have if you don't own the Pampered Chef products called for in the recipe. I baked this in a deep dish pie plate.

Yield: 6 servings. 400 cal, 16 g fat, 1030 mg sodium, 2g fiber
__________________

I love cornbread topped recipes so I was disappointed when I realized that they had discontinued the cornbread twists. I could have used a box of Jiffy cornbread but the 'twist' seemed integral to the recipe so I went with the bread sticks and it worked out.

Sorry about the picture but I was rushed and only got two shots and this blurry, non-flash picture looked better than the other one. I thought this recipe was cute and pretty much a meal in one dish. We had some green beans on the side.

This was easy since I chopped the onions, pepper and garlic in my mini-chopper. I made the chicken mixture Sunday for Tuesday so the chicken absorbed a lot of flavor. I reheated it and then topped it and baked it.

Question of the Day: Is today a holiday where you are? It's Veteran's Day here. My older boy has school but I have off work. Hopefully I can catch up around the house.

3 comments:

Sara said...

That is very pretty! I would try this.
Today is Remembrance Day in Canada, and it is a statutory holiday.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how many it was a holiday for. I know it was for mail delivery and was not for school.

Jan

Anonymous said...

What a nice memory for your son!
I am all about finding little rituals in the everyday. I will never forget my gandmother making a fresh batch of rice krispie squares whenever we came to visit.

Good point about the double buttercream on-slaught. I find just regular icing on the top to sometimes be too much. What about going with a blackforest theme and trying cherry pie fill?
Jody in TO