Monday, October 17, 2005

Egg-ceptional enchiladas



Ham and Egg Enchiladas
Favorite Brand Name Slow Cooker, Casseroles and More Copyright 2002

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
3 green onions with tops, sliced
½ cup diced ham
8 eggs
8 (7 to 8-inch) flour tortillas I think mine were bigger - I only made six
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby-Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, divided
1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
½ cup prepared salsa
Sliced avocado, fresh cilantro and red pepper slices for garnish I didn't garnish

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onions; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add ham; cook and stir 1 minute.
3. Lightly beat eggs with wire whisk in medium bowl. Add eggs to skillet; cook until eggs are set, but still soft, stirring occasionally.
4. Spoon about ½ cup egg mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla; top with 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll tortillas up and place seam side down in shallow 11x7 baking dish.
5. Combine enchilada sauce and salsa in small bowl. Pour evenly over enchiladas.
6. Cover enchiladas with foil; bake 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Continue baking 10 minutes or until enchiladas are hot and cheese is melted. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.

I never have the occasion to serve brunch and we never have big breakfasts so I thought why not make this recipe for dinner? It’s economical and it was delicious. I would definitely do this again. It doesn’t have to be red bell peppers and green onions – green peppers and sweet or yellow onions would work just as well. The cheese could be varied too.

I’m loving this cookbook, Favorite Brand Name Slow Cooker, Casseroles and More. It was always great eye candy but now that I’m actually cooking from it, I can truly say it’s a great cookbook. I don’t think it’s in print anymore but you can find it new from private sellers on Amazon. From what I’ve seen it’s over $25. Worth it, but I still can’t believe I only paid a measly $7 for this treasure.

No comments: