Thursday, October 20, 2005

Sweet, tangy AND spicy



Sweet and Tangy Barbecued Chicken
Better Homes and Gardens Chicken Cooking For Today Copyright 1993

1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup apple cider
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
½ teaspoon pepper
6 chicken legs I used thighs and drumsticks

For sauce, in a 1 ½ quart saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil till tender. Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Dijon-style mustard, thyme and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Sauce can be made ahead; cover and chill till needed).

Skin chicken, if desired. (I didn't.) Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Arrange chicken in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Pour half of the sauce over chicken.

Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree over for 50 to 60 minutes or till chicken is tender and no longer pink, basting occasionally with additional sauce. Serve chicken with any remaining sauce.

Makes 6 servings.

I made this the night before we ate it for dinner, as I often do since there isn't much time to prepare dinner after work. The night I made it, I felt the vinegar in the sauce was overpowering. When I heated it up the next night, I didn't feel that way anymore. The sauce was sort of like a nice onion relish. It had a bit of a kick, from the pepper and mustard.

Another recipe from my little chicken book. I have a bigger chicken book, which is a bit older and none of the recipes really entice me but this little book is full of great chicken recipes.

No comments: