Monday, October 31, 2005

Something easy tonight


Hot Muffuletta
Food & Wine Magazine’s Quick From Scratch One-Dish Meals Cookbook Copyright 1997,2002,2004

1 10-ounce jar green olives with pimientos, drained and chopped
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
4 large crusty rolls, split
½ pound sliced hard salami
½ pound sliced ham
½ pound sliced provolone

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the chopped olives with the oregano, garlic, oil and parsley. (My jar was only 5.75 ounces but it was plenty for 4 sandwiches – I decreased the oregano, oil and parsley a bit but I probably didn’t need to. Also, I used the chopping attachment to my stick blender to chop this.) Spread some of the olive mixture on the bottom half of each roll.
2. Top the olive salad with salami, ham, and provolone. Cover with the tops of the rolls then wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil. Bake until cheese melts, about 15 minutes. You can also serve these unheated, which is more traditional.

My husband’s favorite meal is probably hot Italian subs. A light brush of mayo, some hoagie spread (basically chopped cherry peppers), cappacola, Genoa salami, pepperoni and Provolone cheese on a nice bread, wrapped and foil and heated in the oven. I’m sick of those subs so I thought this would be a nice variation and it was. I wanted to use the ciabatta rolls from Costco but I hate it when they put hot rolls in a plastic bag and the bag steams up which was the case on Saturday when I was in Costco so I used Kaiser rolls.

I think this cookbook from Food & Wine Magazine will be a standout in my collection. The recipes have a bit of class yet they aren’t complicated. I love cookbooks that have a photograph of each recipe.

No comments: