Wednesday, June 21, 2006

It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a recipe



Sophia Loren Chicken
500 More Low-Carb Recipes Copyright 2004

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 lbs) I used tenders.
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (use the cheap stuff in the shaker for this)
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup hot sauce (Frank’s or any no-carb sauce)

Cut your chicken breasts into finger-sized pieces. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine cheese and spices in a bowl. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with foil.
Combine the olive oil and garlic in a bowl. Dip each chicken finger in the olive oil, roll in the cheese/seasoning mixture, and arrange on the foil-lined pan.
Bake for 45 minutes. (I didn't bake these that long.) After removing form the oven , place the chicken fingers in shallow dish and pour hot sauce over chicken, thoroughly coating each piece.

Makes 6 servings. Per serving: 364 calories, 24 g fat, 33 g protein, 3 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2 g usuable carbs
__________________________________

The cookbook explains that this recipe is hot, spicy and Italian, hence the name. I'm not sure how this recipe was really supposed to turn out - was it supposed to be crunchy? I think if I had baked it long enough to get crunchy, the chicken would have been way overdone, so I just cooked this until the chicken was done through. It was hot that evening and I was hungry. I enjoyed it, crunchy or not. This wasn't much different that chicken breaded with bread crumbs and Parmesan but I've never doused breaded chicken with hot sauce before. I served it to my son without the hot sauce and it was good that way too. I obeyed the recipe instruction and used the cheap Parmesan in a shaker but I think this could have been even better with a better grade of Parmesan cheese.

I'm trying to figure out this cookbook. At least half of the recipes were sent in by everyday people. Their names are attached to the recipes but did they get any compensation? How much did the cookbook author make from this book?

Question of the Day: Can anyone tell me why the song 'Shut Uppa You Face' shows up in my head at least every couple of months? I haven't heard the song since I was, oh, probably about 10 years old and it constantly comes back into my head. Am I insane? I'm not even Italian.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I empathize with you. I wish I knew why some song comes in my head and stays all day. It's always a different one, though. What's worse, I find myself softly singing it. Often, it's a song I don't even like. Yesterday it was "Why Do Things Have to Be So Complicated?" (Could be a reflection of my life!) The day before that it was some equally bad song that, mercifully, I can't remember.

Jan

Anonymous said...

LOL, it's cause you have a little one! When mine were little, they loved to watch Shari and Lambchop. I STILL have "This is the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because...This is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend...." AAARRRGGGHHHH!

(gotta love 'em but kids will make ya crazy!) LOLOL

This recipe looks really good. I'm definitely going to be making it. I might have mine "kiddie" style though, with no hot sauce.

Annie said...

Hmmm. I don't know if I've ever heard this song and I am Italian. But I often get songs stuck in my head and I can't for the life of me figure out how or why. One is "Well Hello Dolly" by Louie Armstrong! Strange, Huh?

This recipe looks pretty good aside from the hot sauce, so I'm with Jentx on trying it kiddie style.