Monday, June 19, 2006

My picture looks just as good



Burrito Burgers
Favorite Brand Name 100 Best Hamburger Recipes Copyright 2003

6 tablespoons steak sauce(regular or bold and spicy), divided
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, divided
3 tablespoons dairy sour cream I used lite sour cream
1 pound ground beef
4 ( 6 ½-inch) flour tortillas
1 medium tomato, sliced I omitted this
1 cup shredded lettuce
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 ounces) I used a cheddar-jack blend

Blend 2 tablespoons steak sauce, 2 tablespoons chiles, and sour cream. cover; refrigerate until ready to serve.

Mix beef, remaining ¼ cup steak sauce and chiles. Shape mixture into 4 (4-inch) oval patties. Grill burgers over medium heat or broil 6 inches from heat source 5 minutes on each side or until beef is no longer pink in center. Place each burger in center of 1 tortilla (I heated my tortillas in a skillet to soften them) ; top evenly with tomato, lettuce, cheese and chilled sauce. Fold edges of tortillas in like a burrito. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.
____________________________________

I've had my eye on this recipe for quite some time. They just looked so good in the picture in the cookbook. I'm a sucker for a creamy burger sauce. I wasn't disappointed. This isn't a 'call-all-your-friends-and-tell-them-about-it' recipe but personally I found that it hit the spot last night. The chiles and steak sauce added flavor to the meat but they still tasted like burgers (not meatloaf, like the Aisle 6 Beef Burgers). I used the GF grill because the weather was questionable and I'm glad I did because the meat mixture was quite soft and the patties would have been hard to handle on the grill.

I freestyled some great rice with this too. I cooked up brown rice the night before, then when it was time for dinner, I steamed/sautéed some red peppers (straight from the freezer) and then added green onions, leftover corn, the rice and some taco sauce. Oh, and about a teaspoon of butter to round out the flavors.

Everything I've made from this cookbook has been quite tasty. That's why I love the Favorite Brand Name cookbooks. They have a website too. There have a large selection of recipes on there.

Question of the Day: Do you have any favorite websites for recipes? (besides this one LOL!)

6 comments:

Annie said...

I like Foodtv.com, Allrecipes.com, Epicurious.com and yours of course!

Wanda said...

This is the only one I look forward to and read daily. But when I am looking for a certain recipe, I go to Allrecipes.com, or sometimes recipe-source.com. Looking in my 'Recipes' folder in my favorites, I also see I have "whatsfordinner.net" and foodtv.com for looking up recipes I saw on tv.
That burrito looks GOOD!

Heather said...

This is the site I visit most often. Other staple sites are cookinglight.com and allrecipes.com.

Unknown said...

I like allrecipes.com because it has the nutritional information, ratings, and reviews. I almost always read reviews so I can see if there are any consistant changes people have made or if the rating is misleading.

ThursdayNext said...

I am a big epicurious fan along with foodnetwork. :)

Kelli said...

Those look great! I'm going to make my own little tweaks (drop the sour cream, add the tomato back, double the chiles), but generally follow the recipe and try it out tonight!