Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Not-too-sweet-not-too-garlicky salad dressing



Sweet Garlic Dressing
Simply Delicious Too Copyright 1989

½ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
few dashes of Tabasco sauce
1 tsp. sugar
1 ¼ tsp. ketchup
1 tsp. prepared mustard
¼ tsp. paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, halved

Combine in a jar and shake to mix well. Allow flavors to blend for several hours before servings. Shake well and remove garlic clove before tossing with salad.
______________________________

This dressing really isn't really sweet, not by my standards. Only one teaspoon of sugar and maybe a bit of sweetness from the ketchup doesn't really make this all that sweet. Not is this very garlicky. It's a well-balanced recipe - none of the individual ingredients really stand out but they work well together.

This cookbook is a great mystery to me. Where the hell did it come from? I honestly don't know. My best guess is Ollie's Bargain Outlet but there's no price sticker. The book cover is slick enough that I may have been able to remove the sticker cleanly. But that's just a guess - no bells are ringing. This really bugs me. What really bothers me is that it may have been a gift and I'd feel lousy if I didn't remember someone giving me something.

I mean, no, I can't remember exactly where every single one of my cookbooks came from but for the most part I have a clue. I have lots of pamphlet cookbooks I pick up when travelling and I may not remember exactly which cookbook was picked up where but I almost always remember some of the details. This is the only book I draw a complete blank on. Maybe the Cookbook Fairy left it. Ah, if only there were such a fairy.

It's a great little cookbook and I'll always wonder what recipes were included in Simply Delicious, the first book this author put out, since Simply Delicious Too was her follow-up.

We had Sausage andMushroom Pasta again this week. It's one of my son's favorites and definitely something I'll be repeating often. It helps that condensed tomato soup seems to be breeding in my cupboards. Where is it coming from? No matter how many recipes I make with this, there's always a can (or two) left in the cupboard and I don't recall buying more.

Question of the Day: Do you know where all of your cookbooks came from?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I do! Most of them are from my parents house, which came from my Grandmas house. Others are from book fairs or the library book sale.

Wanda said...

I *think* I know where most of mine came from....given to me by friends or relatives...bought by me...compiled by me, in the case of my "Oh, No!" binder. The recipes inside that one came from the internet or magazines or from friends.

I just took a photo of my so-called cookbook shelf. It will more than likely be my 'daily photo' for my blog entry today. I think I'll go take photos of a few individual cookbooks to go on my blog, also.

I followed your link to the sausage-noodle dish. It looks "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..." LOL! I wish I had the ingredients to make it today. But it's hamburger-something-of-other for us tonight. I have sworn off any more trips to town in 98* or higher temps in my van with the risky a/c.

Unknown said...

Well, given I don't have many...yes. Most were given to me but one I bought.

Anonymous said...

I know where mine have come from - some given to me, bought at garage sales and community cookbooks which I've bought (I love those.) I don't have an enormous amount, but quite a few. My problem is my collection of recipes cut out of the newspaper, magazines and jotted down from TV. I have BOXES of them. I swear over and over that I'll go through them and weed them out. And "over and over" I don't get it done. SOMEDAY!!!

Jan

P.S. I forgot about the four or more recipes boxes that are full. Good grief, I need an intervention!

ThursdayNext said...

Yes, and there are some from my childhood that I just love, including "The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook" that my mom gave to me! :)