Friday, March 09, 2007

All's well that ends well



Hoedown BBQ Chuck Roast
Pillsbury Complete Cook Book Copyright 2000,2006

ROAST:
1 (4-lb) beef chuck blade roast (2 inches thick) my roast was under 3 pounds

MARINADE:
½ cup soy sauce I used low-sodium soy sauce
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup sugar
1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced or ½ to 1 teaspoon garlic powder I used garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Trim fat from roast. In 12x8-inch (2 quart) baking dish or resealable food storage plastic bag, combine all marinade ingredients; blend well. Add roast; turn to coat. Cover dish or seal bag; refrigerate 6 hours or overnight, turning once or twice.

GRILL DIRECTIONS:. Heat grill. When ready to grill, remove roast from marinade; reserve and refrigerate marinade. Place roast on gas grill over medium-low heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium coals; cover grill. Cook 50 to 75 minutes or until of desired doneness, turning once and basting with reserved marinade during last fifteen minutes or cooking. Discard any remaining marinade.

OVEN DIRECTIONS: To bake roast in oven, place in shallow baking pan; bake at 325 degrees for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours, turning once and basting with reserved marinade during last 15 minutes of baking.

I used the oven directions but the marinade left on the meat started to trickle out and burn so I added some water, turned down the heat slightly and then I covered the pan with foil because I thought it was drying out. I ended up cooking it about two hours and my roast was under 3 pounds. I uncovered it and poured the reserved marinade over it during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking.
________________________

As you can see, I had some issues with the execution of this roast but I was very happy with the results. I made it the night before, stored it in the marinade overnight, and then I sliced it and heated it up in the oven, covered. I loved it but then again, I'm partial to chuck roast. I thought the marinade was really good too. I ended up with a sauce with a nice consistency and great flavor.

I'm starting to look forward to trips to the 'auction' (farmer's market). It's open all year but it's too far of a haul to go when there isn't going to be a lot of fresh, cheap produce for sale. Maybe this year I'll make more local discoveries. There's an organic market a bit north of us that I've been meaning to visit and I just need to remember to do it.

Blast From The Past: Eggplant with Crispy Coating from August 2006 - a recipe made with a beautiful purple eggplant from the auction. It wasn't really a great tasting eggplant but I still mean to try this recipe with the darker colored eggplant in the future. The coating was great.

Question of the Day: What are you looking forward to?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am ready for my test to be over (in about 2 hours) and getting to actually spend time with my family, remembering Granny. I'm also ready for SPRING BREAK!!!!

Brilynn said...

I'm looking forward to the farmer's market too!

And going for bike rides. I tend to hibernate when it's cold outside, so I'm looking forward to some warmer weather.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

The end of cyclone season!

Anonymous said...

I'm SO looking forward to a day, hopefully in the near future, when my husband will be free of the two tubes in his body, a ton of medication, and the oxygen - when he's well and back to normal.
The next thing is Easter holiday, when hopefully we'll get to go visit Wanda and her family.

Jan