Thursday, March 22, 2007

Good pork



Glazed Pork Tenderloin
The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook Copyright 2002, 2006

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons honey
2 (1-pound) pork tenderloins, trimmed of fat

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a small bowl, mix together the mustard, garlic, rosemary, thyme, pepper and honey. Coat the tenderloins with the mixture.

Place the tenderloins on a non-stick baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray or on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 160 degrees F. Slice the tenderloins, and serve.

Makes 6 to 8 servings. Per serving: 160 cal, 24 g protein, 5 g carbs 4 g fat, o g fiber, 67 mg chol, 138 mg sodium
_____________________________

Yes, more Holly Clegg. Most of you had never heard of her before but I bet you'll recognize her name now. Hey, I wanted to be sure this was worthy of the cookbook giveaway. I'm sure now.

This recipe was definitely a keeper. Even my self-professed pork hater husband proclaimed that this was 'good pork'. I did sort of mess up. I roasted potatoes along side of the tenderloins and I ended up mixing the glaze on the bottom of the pan with the potatoes instead of drizzling it over the pork. The pork was still very good and flavorful but it would have been even better with more of the glazed drizzled over top. The potatoes sure were good though.

Last week my husband came home after visiting his parents and told me that his mother gave us some potatoes. I figured she must have had a few extra but when I looked there were about 10-15 pounds of potatoes! I only managed to salvage a few. Most were green or wrinkled by the time I got to use them, which is a shame but I knew the minute I saw all of those potatoes that I would be lucky to get one dish out of them. My husband isn't big on potatoes but he didn't leave any leftovers this time.

My son has developed a taste for condiments (a real chip of the old block). The other night he begged me for mustard. For stuffed shells. I finally gave in to ketchup. Last night he asked for ketchup again and I relented. I like pot roast dipped in ketchup, why not let him dip his pork in it? Well, it turned out that he didn't actually want to use the ketchup as a condiment but instead he seems to think it's a side dish.

I went on a bit of a cookbook binge yesterday and ordered a few new ones. I really should weed a few out of my collection but it's just so hard. There are only a handful that I can definitely say I'll probably never cook from - a few Diana Kennedy books that are just too authentically Mexican for me and, and - well I'm sure there are a couple more I could part with if pressed and I am getting pressed for space. I don't think I could give up enough of them to make much of a difference.

Blast From The Past: Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Mojo Sauce from August 2006. That's another great recipe for pork tenderloin.

Question of the Day: What's your favorite way to prepare potatoes?

4 comments:

DancesInGarden said...

I love poatoes. I can eat them any way they are made. I am not supposed to eat potatoes. Of course. Sigh.

My favourite is when they are roasted and crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Or fried. Or boiled with butter and parsley. Baked! Yeah baked. You know what? I just like them ROFL.

Heather said...

I love a good baked potato with salsa.

Anonymous said...

I'm with dancesingarden...give me a potato any which way.
Though I have to admit, hash browns, either the shredded kind or old fashioned (cubed) are probably my favorites...wait, no, love mashed...oh never mind.

Randi said...

Are you interested in selling that diana kennedy book?