Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Understudy
--Broccoli with Lemon and Garlic



Broccoli with Lemon and Garlic
500 3-Ingredients Recipes Copyright 2004

4 cups broccoli florets
1 tablespoon minced garlic I used two cloves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons butter I used about a tablespoon

Put 2 quarts salted water in a 4-quart pot and bring to a boil. In a small saucepan heat the garlic, lemon juice, and butter over low heat, until the butter is melted. When the water boils, drop in the broccoli florets and cook them for 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through, but still crisp. Drain the broccoli and toss with the sauce in a large bowl.
_________________________

I got sick before I could finish planning this week's recipes over the weekend so I had to scramble something up for today at the last minute. It wasn't really anything special, to be honest. I keep forgetting that I'm not all that crazy about broccoli and garlic together. I'd rather dip plain steamed garlic in Tiger Sauce (and I just scored six bottles of it at a grocery store near my parent's house).

I'm having an off week. It happens. It doesn't help that between the cold and the cold medication, my appetite isn't what it usually is. My husband is also sick and I think my son is coming down with it too. I'm just treading water this week.

This cookbook hasn't yielded any great recipes yet. There are 497 recipes I haven't tried yet, so there may be a winner in there somewhere.

Blast From The Past: Creamy Italian Pasta Salad from April 2006. I wanted to make pasta salad this week but I don't think I'm going to get to it.

Question of the Day: How do you prefer to eat broccoli (or don't you care for it at all)?

11 comments:

DancesInGarden said...

I like it just about any way except completely raw. Sometimes it is too starchy or something raw, so when I serve it with dip I blanch it briefly first.

Quickly stir fried with garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper flakes is probably my favourite. Or steamed with cheese sauce.

Unknown said...

I like it any way, I guess. I did have some at a restaurant one time that had some kind of "sauce" on it that I didn't really like. I could see how garlic wouldn't go great with it if it's in a sauce but then again, I love garlic!

M Smith said...

I'll eat it anyway I can get it. In fact, this recipe looks like what I do when I'm not willing to expend any brain power to make it another way. :-)

Anonymous said...

I like mine with pasta. I heat some extra virgin olive oil over medium heat, put in about 3 cloves of minced garlic, 4 anchovy fillets and let it all melt together. Then I toss in the broccoli florets and enough water to let steam rise. I cover it (some times -- depends on the size of those florets) until they are tender and all the water has evaporated. I toss the cooked pasta in (I prefer angel hair) with a little of the pasta cooking water, season with salt and pepper to taste, and yum!

Heather said...

I am not a broccoli fan. I think sometime I will eat it because it is in a frozen meal, but I pick it out and eat it first.

Mindy said...

Any broccoli I eat must be steamed and still crisp to the bite. I love broccoli stir-fried and served with any kind of dipping sauce, too. I just steamed some fresh broccoli last night and dipped it into a yogurt, mustard and honey mixture, and it was fantastic.

Oh...florets only, no stalks EVER. :)

Anonymous said...

Hot Broccoli, cold mayo. Lots of calories but my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I love broccoli any way. Raw or cooked, crisp or soggy! And that has always been a vegetable that all of my grandchildren love as well.

Jan

Anonymous said...

vuvuI love broccoli any way. Raw or cooked, crisp or soggy! And that has always been a vegetable that all of my grandchildren love as well.

Jan

Anonymous said...

What the heck is that "vuvu"????? And why two comments? Oh, well.

Jan

Laura's mom said...

Hi Paula,
Hope you feel better.
I love broccoli but never made it b/c it was such a hassle with boiling water, cooking/blanching, etc. You know how it is with having to clean more pots. Anyway, now I wash, chop into bite size pieces, place in microwave proof bowl, 1 Tbsp water, saran wrap tight and nuke it in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes. Voila, cooked, broccoli is crisp and perfect. Season with salt, butter and squeeze of lemon and it's ready for the table with no extra pots to clean. (I know you would appreciate this as a mom)