Wednesday, March 21, 2007

More success from Holly Clegg



Jumbo Stuffed Shells
The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook Copyright 2002, 2006

1 (12-ounce) package jumbo shells
1 ½ pounds ground sirloin
2 egg whites I used only 1 egg white, from an extra large egg
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup Italian bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
salt and pepper to taste
Tomato Sauce
1 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook the pasta shells according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt; drain and set aside.
In a nonstick skillet, cook the meat until done, 5 to 7 minutes over medium-high heat. Drain any excess fat. Add the egg whites, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Stuff the shells with the filling.

Pour half of the Tomato Sauce in a 2-quart baking dish. Arrange the stuffed shells on top, and cover with the remaining sauce. Bake for 20 minutes, or until well-heated. Sprinkle with the Mozzarella cheese, and continue baking for 10 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

Tomato Sauce

1 medium onion, chopped
½ teaspoon minced garlic
3 cups tomato juice
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
½ teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste

In a large nonstick pot, sauté the onion over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato juice, tomato paste, sugar, salt, and pepper; simmer at least 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.
________________________________

The picture isn't that great but these stuffed shells were pretty good. I never made a tomato sauce using tomato juice before but it turned out really well. These aren't as rich as some stuffed shells but you don't have to feel too guilty eating them either. I wish Dreamfields would come out with a pasta I can stuff. I'll have to look for whole wheat jumbo shells.

I still think that jumbo shells used to be much larger. I must be mistaken though because every brand is this size. There are probably over 30 shells in a box. You might as well be stuffing rigatoni noodles. I filled up a large pan with these and still had about 10 shells leftover. (I probably could have stretched the filling to fill all of the shells but I didn't want to dirty another pan and I was tired of stuffing them.)

After examining this cookbook a little further, I think I might know why so few of us have heard of Holly Clegg. She mentions making at least one recipe on the Phil Donahue Show so maybe she was more popular back-in-the-day, before the world was overtaken by 'food personalities'.

The more recipes I try from this cookbook, the better I feel about giving a copy of it away this month.

Blast From The Past: Sausage-Stuffed Shells With Chunky Tomato Sauce from April 2006. I think those stuffed shells with this sauce would be a wonderful match.

Question of the Day: When did you last eat dinner out? Where did you go and what did you order?

7 comments:

Brilynn said...

I can't even remember. I almost never eat out. I used to a bit more when I lived in a city, but now I'm in the middle of nowhere...

Unknown said...

I ate out for lunch on Sunday with some people from my SUnda School class. We went to Mazzio's and I had the buffet but ended up with mostly salad and a slice of dessert pizza.

I think the recipes from this book look really good.

Jennifer said...

We eat out about twice a year because I'm a poor student. Last time we when out was to a swank seafood place for our anniversary; I had steak and husband had some sort of fish.

Heather said...

Do you know the nutrition information for this recipe?

Wow, I think we have been doing a lot of carryout recently. I can't think of the last time we ate dinner in a restaurant. We have had take out pizza and barbeque.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

There was nutritional info, Heather, but I didn't include it because it said this recipe serves 6 to 8 and then it didn't explain whether the nutritional info was based on 6 servings or 8 servings or what they considered a serving size.

I'll add it later if I remember. I'm pretty sure it clocked in at 406 calories per serving.

DancesInGarden said...

If you count ME eating, then it was a local steakhouse and we were disappointed. The owner is cutting corners and you can really tell. We probably won't be back there, and it is a pity.

If you count the most recent place where food is bought but I did not eat, then that would be McDonalds LOL. Brought DD there for apple slices so she could play on the equipment, and she managed to fenagle an ice cream out of me ;)

Anonymous said...

My daughter and granddaughters and I love to go out to eat, but since hubby is recuperating at home and takes a lot of care, we haven't been going much at all. But we did manage a quick trip to a small chicken buffet chain. CHICKEN BUFFET, you say???? Yes, indeedy! Fried and baked chicken on the bone, fried chicken strips and hot wings & great side dishes.
Mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, rice, pinto beans, okra gumbo, greens, veggie rice and the usual green beans, corn, etc. Plus salad and dessert bar. A dieter's destination, it's not.

Jan