Friday, May 11, 2007

Even simpler than yesterday's recipe
--Barbecued Sausage Pieces



Barbecued Sausage Pieces
Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook Copyright 2000

1 lb. smoked sausage I used turkey smoked sausage
1 cup hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
¼ cup honey
2 Tbsp. brown sugar

1. Cut sausage in ½-inch pieces. Brown in skillet. Place in slow cooker.
2. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over sausage.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 2 hours. You don't need a slow cooker for this - the sausage can just be slowly simmered in the sauce. It wouldn't take long for the sausage to heat up and release some of it's flavor into the sauce.
4. Serve over rice or noodles as a main dish or with toothpicks as a party snack.

_______________________

I know, this isn't very 'fancy' but we liked it. It's high in sugar, obviously, but I used turkey sausage and served it over Uncle Ben's Rice, which I've heard is one of the better white rices, in terms of GI rating. I just couldn't see serving this over brown rice. I rounded it out with some corn on the cob and salad. Not the healthiest meal, but it was easy and it was frugal. I got the smoked sausage on a BOGO free deal. My husband usually pours barbecue sauce over just about everything anyway so I saved him some effort too.

There's not much else to say today. I picked up groceries last night and just beat the rain. Why don't all groceries stores build a slight overhang out front so that when it rains, you can pull up your car and load it without getting wet? Also, there should be a law against building a grocery store parking lot on an incline. If I had a nickel for everytime I had to chase after my cart as it careened towards the road, I'd have several nickels.

Blast From The Past: Lumberjack Hash from April 2006. That recipe will probably be on the menu again soon. The oven will be going on hiatus when the hot weather comes.

Question of the Day: What's your favorite stove-top meal?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmmm...that's a hard one! Eggplant spaghetti sauce, omlette, or stir fry.

Wanda said...

I have two - Pasta Primavera and um...I forgot the name of it, but I got the recipe off of a bisquit can years ago. It's crumbled pan sausage, canned tomatoes, seasonings, mushrooms, cheese etc. topped with biscuits. Well, maybe it doesn't qualify as a stove top recipe since the last step is browning the biscuit-topped mixture in the oven. My son got that recipe from me and makes it in an iron dutch oven over a camp fire when he is 'side-jobbing' as a hunting guide.

Anonymous said...

That's a difficult question - I make so much on the stove top. I guess one of my favorites is the Mexican rice dish. We use it as an entree, since it has a lot of meat in it.

Jan