Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Salsa - not just for tortilla chips
--Bayou Chicken Pasta



Bayou Chicken Pasta
Taste of Home Family Collection Cookbook Copyright 2006

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup each chopped green and yellow pepper I used green and orange peppers
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Hot cooked pasta I used Dreamfield spaghetti

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onion, celery and pepper in oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add chicken and garlic powder; cook for 4-5 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Stir in salsa.

Combine cornstarch and water; stir into the chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add the parsley, salt and hot pepper sauce; mix well. Serve over pasta.

Yield: 4 servings.
_________________________

Salsa is definitely a good ingredient to keep on hand for a quick meal. You can mix it with just about anything and end up with something pretty good (if you like salsa). What was nice about this recipe is that it's made with basically all pantry staples (I even keep peppers in the freezer).

This cookbook was from the library but I wouldn't be surprised if this recipe was also in one of the other Taste of Home cookbooks that I own. Just like the Favorite Brand Name collection of cookbooks, I really like the Taste of Home cookbooks but you'll find that they all have a lot of the same recipes in them.

I can't believe that May is halfway over. This year is flying by.

Blast From The Past: Beef Tamale Skillet Meal from last month. That's another quick salsa recipe.

Question of the Day: Did you watch the Gilmore Girls finale last night? Did you cry?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks good! I LOVE salsa. Sorry...didn't watch Gilmore Girls, but I have a friend who, supposing she didn't work, for sure watched it! I'm more of an American Idol/House girl.

Sara said...

I watched it. I didn't cry, though for a second I thought I might. It was too abrupt an ending for me.

Anonymous said...

Haven't watched the Gilmore Girls in years. I'll have to check online to see what happened.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, don't watch Gilmore Girls. Does crying when Ian and Cheryl got eliminated from Dancing with the Stars count? Just kidding.

Jan