Friday, May 04, 2007

A lighter version of potato salad
--Austrian Potato Salad



Austrian Potato Salad
Better Homes and Gardens Heritage Cook Book Copyright 1975

6 medium potatoes, peeled, sliced and cooked
¼ cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons snipped parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard

In a bowl place potatoes, onions, parsley, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Heat wine vinegar, olive oil, and mustard; mix well. Pour over all; toss lightly. Chill thoroughly, Garnish with parsley, if desired.

Serves 8.
__________________________

I had a lot of red potatoes to use up (buy one get one free) but I didn't want anything too heavy. This was a nice alternative to a heavy mayonnaise-based potato salad. I'd rather have Hellman's but swimsuit season is around the corner. I'd much rather have this potato salad than one made with fat-free or reduced-fat mayo. It had a pleasant tang - not too strong. The garlic mellowed overnight (I made it a day ahead).

Tomorrow is the yard sale and I still have so much to do but it's sort of a game with me to see how little time I can put into this yard sale. I mean, I don't expect to make that much money so how much is my time worth?

I'm trying really hard to weed things out of my kitchen but it's so hard to give up anything cooking-related. I have things I haven't touched in years but the possibilities are still there. I'm afraid that if I make too much room in my kitchen, I'll just fill the empty space up with new stuff.

Blast From The Past: Horn and Hardart’s Baked Macaroni and Cheese from November 2005 - definitely one of the best mac 'n cheese recipes I've made, if not the very best.

Question of the Day: Do you tend to accumulate things or keep things to a bare minimum?

7 comments:

Randi said...

Holy Crap woman, but I swear on my dachsunds, I made French potato salad( from Cook's Illustrated) on Wednesday night. I cooked for some clients. This is too weird!!

DancesInGarden said...

We have extremely limited space. So limited, that my sort of rule is before I can buy something new I have to make space for it by getting rid of something else.

Which sucks, because I only get things that I absolutely HAVE to have usually. I covet a lot of things, mind you LOL.

Unknown said...

I feel like I'm accumulating but part of that is because I just inherited some great pieces from my grandmother's house and I'm in a small apartment with limited storage. When I have a house it will be perfect. I do need to get rid of some clothes...but I also need some new professional clothes for the hospital next year. On th whole...I don't accumulate...I like to consoliate. I am such a consolidator!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh - I accumulate to the max. I do try to weed out occasionally, but it never seems to be enough.

Jan

ThursdayNext said...

I love potato salad without mayo! I have a somewhat large apartment just for myself, but I do not let things accumulate. Clothes go to charity, and the rest I dont mind throwing out.

Heather said...

I tend to accumulate and the SO definitely accumulates. He is a pack rat. I do get rid of things in masses of fury every once in awhile. We have a house for a family of 4 and there are only 2 of us and Willie so we definitely accumulate. It is time to purge!!

MommyProf said...

That recipe is might similar to my German great-grandmother's potato salad recipe, except hers also called for bacon fat.