Monday, May 07, 2007

Cleaning out the freezer
--The New York Reuben



The New York Reuben
American Sandwich Copyright 2004

Russian Dressing:
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
A dash of Louisiana-style hot sauce

Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Store, covered, in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Yield: enough for 4 to 5 Reubens

Sandwich:
2 slices of quality Jewish rye bread
Butter
¼ pound thinly sliced corned beef
2 ounces thinly sliced Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon Russian Dressing
¼ cup sauerkraut

Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place the first slice, buttered side down, in a frying pan. Pile on the slices of corned beef and Swiss cheese, spread with Russian dressing and add the sauerkraut. Top with another slice of bread, buttered side up. Cover and grill slowly over low heat for 5 minutes, or until the bread is toasted golden brown. Uncover, turn the sandwich over, increase the heat to medium high, and grill until golden brown on the second side. I used the GF grill. Cut sandwich in half and serve immediately with kosher dills or “half-sours” (partially dilled pickles).
_________________________

I've made grilled Reubens before but I didn't get a chance to blog about them. I had some corned beef and some sauerkraut in the freezer from the last time I made these, right after St. Patrick's Day. Last time I used St. Paddy's Day Rye but this time I used store-bought rye bread.

I made two for my husband and one for myself. He only ate one at dinnertime so I was already thinking about having the leftover one for lunch the next day. A few hours after dinner, my husband was hungry again and asked if I was going to take the Reuben for lunch. Now, usually these conversations end with me telling him to go ahead and eat it and I find something else to take for lunch. Not this time! I held on to the Reuben.

This is my second time checking out this cookbook from the library. There is one sandwich recipe per state and this is New York's sandwich obviously. It's a fun little book.

I still haven't heard from April's cookbook winner. I'll contact the winner again but if I don't hear from her (or him) in a few day's, I'll have to pick another winner. Stay tuned for May's cookbook.

Blast From The Past: A&W Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce from March 2006. That's my favorite hot dog chili - I need to make another batch soon.

Question of the Day: How often do you eat some type of sandwich for dinner?

5 comments:

DancesInGarden said...

Almost never. Dh is not a fan of sandwiches, although his attitude has improved somewhat. I have tried to show him a sandwich can be more than a slice of boiled ham slapped onto white squishy bread.

He looks forward to his packed lunches now, but I think if I offered him one for dinner he might mutiny!

Anne Coleman said...

I only wish I had corned beef in the freezer! Reubens are my favorite.

Unknown said...

Never...don't really like sandwiches...too much bread! There are some that I like but I don't do them often.

Rebel In Ontario said...

Grilled cheese is a staple on busy nights at our house so I would say about once a week we have sandwiches. My DH is the complete opposite to dancesingarden and he could live off the things. I'm not a huge fan but do like one occasionally for lunch.

Brilynn said...

Almost never.
But I do love corned beef sandwiches, I corned my own beef a while ago and the resulting sandwiches are fantastic!