Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Chili cheese dogs!



A&W Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce
The Ugly Binder - from somewhere on the internet

1 pound ground chuck I used ground venison
1 six ounce can tomato paste
1 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 tablespoon dried, minced onion
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon celery seed
½ teaspoon ground cumin (heaping)
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

1. In a 2-qt saucepan, brown the ground chuck, breaking into very small pieces. Salt and pepper lightly while cooking. Do not drain fat. (I always use very lean meat so this is not an issue for me.)
2. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 30-45 minutes until it thickens. Stir occasionally.

I've made this recipe several times over the years. There are probably thousands of different hot dog chili recipes out there but once I tried this one, I stopped looking for any others. You can definitely make this ahead of time and it freezes great. I usually make it with beef but all I had on hand was ground venison, which worked great here, especially since it was more finely ground than ground beef usually is.

I wasn't planning on making hot dogs last night but this meal used up some ground venison from the freezer (and I have enough frozen for 3 more nights of chili dogs sometime in the future) and the hot dogs and hot dog buns I planned on us eating this past weekend but we never got around to having them. Everything else was a pantry item. I always keep a bag of frozen french fries on hand too. Hubby ate four chili dogs!

Question of the Day: Do you eat hot dogs? What do you like on them?

5 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I like my hot dogs so many different ways - depending on my mood. Ketchup, relish, yellow mustard, brown mustard, relish, sauerkraut, chili, chopped onions - it's all good. Not all at once of course!

I always buy all-beef hot dogs and I try to get the lite ones if I can.

I love corn dogs too.

Erin S. said...

Yum! I like hot dogs with lots of stuff--grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, relish...

Usually only eat them at BBQs and the ball park, not at home...

Anonymous said...

We used to eat them very often as they were my 4 year old favorite food.He's since broadened his range of foods,so we don't eat them as often.I like sauerkraut,mustard,chili and mayo.lol

Anonymous said...

I LOOOOVE hot dogs. I would probably have them once a week if my husband would agree to it. We have them maybe once a month. I like them with chili, cheese and onions. Also with mayo, sweet relish, onion and grated cheddar.
Oh, yes, and with sauerkraut. Heck, give them to me any old way!

Randi said...

since we dont eat red meat, i dont eat hot dogs. Turkey dogs and chicken dogs kinda freak me out. I do love Morningstar farms veggie dogs. They taste unbelievably like the real thing. I like mustard and sauerkraut on them.