Tuesday, March 14, 2006

More enchiladas



Family-Friendly Chicken Enchiladas
101 Things To Do With a Casserole Copyright 2005

3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
2 cans (10.75 ounces each) cream of chicken soup*
1 cup sour cream
1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles, drained
¼ cup dried minced onion
2 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
10 medium flour tortillas I used corn tortillas
1/3 cup milk*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine chicken, 1 can soup, sour cream, chiles, onion and 1 ½ cups cheese. Fill tortillas with 1/3 to ½ cup chicken mixture. Roll filled tortillas and place seam side down in a greased 9x13-inch pan. combine remaining soup with milk and spread over tortilla rolls. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Cover and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more, or until heated through.

Makes 6-8 servings.

*Variation: 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce can be used to top enchiladas in place of soup-and-milk mixture. I used the enchilada sauce instead of the second can of soup and milk.

I had a can of cream of chicken soup, a container of sour cream, chicken and corn tortillas already on hand when I decided to make this. I only needed to pick up the enchilada sauce, chiles and cheese. I'm not sure if the soup adds anything to this - the Chicken Enchiladas I made without it were just as good. The dried minced onion was slightly overpowering, reminding me of onion soup mix but it didn't ruin the dish for me. I think less onion and some added spices would have perked up the filling. I used basic mild cheddar here and I wish I had used a colby/jack blend.

I served this with rice I freestyled - I sautéed (in Promise margarine - something else I'm trying to use up) some green onion and some of the marked down jalepeños that I had frozen, added some cooked white rice and a bit of taco sauce for flavor.

Everyone is this family liked these but I'm not sure why these are any more 'family-friendly' than any other enchiladas. The soup? I don't know. I don't name these recipes, I just make them.

Question of the Day: Do you shop at a warehouse store? If you do, do you do it to save money or just because it's fun?

4 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

We have a Costco membership. There are only 3 of us (2 adults and a 2-year old) so I know it isn't necessary to shop there and I know I'm not saving money in the long run by shopping there. But it's fun, some products that they sell I like and can't get outside of Costco, and I can get good prices on some items.

Anonymous said...

We used to,but this year I didn't renew my membership.I found I wasn't really saving money,I was temped and bought too many items I didn't need just because it was there.

Cate said...

The enchiladas look great! As far as your question of the day, we mainly shop at Costco ... fun and it saves money. ;)

Anonymous said...

love, love, love Costco...i actually think its cost effective! have u tried the canned salmon..its so good in salads,i have been pleased with every think i have gotten there.I entertain a lot and its supper. kay