Monday, March 06, 2006

A different slaw for ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday



Broccoli Slaw
The Ugly Binder,
from Taste of Home’s Light and Tasty Magazine 2004


4 cups broccoli coleslaw mix
1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
½ cup salsa
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
3 tablespoons cider vinegar

In a bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, corn and salsa. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugar, salt and pepper. Gradually mix in vinegar. Pour over coleslaw mixture; toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Yield 6 servings. Per serving: 92 calories, 2 gms fat, 2 mg cholesterol,
621 mg sodium, 17 gms carbs, 4 gms fiber, 4 gms protein


I had a copy of Taste of Home's Light and Tasty magazine stuck in my ugly binder. I actually like Taste of Home, which is not fashionable to admit among certain crowds but there, I said it. I like that the recipes are from 'real' people and there are lots of pretty pictures for me to drool over.

This slaw caught my eye because it was a bit different. They usually isn't anything particularly unusual in Taste of Home. I knew I was going to have salsa leftover from another recipe this week so I decided to try this. I'm always on the lookout for sides to serve with Mexican food. I thought it was a good sign that the broccoli coleslaw mix was marked down to 49 cents. Woo hoo!

I almost didn't get to make this in time for Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday since I had a bit of a stomach bug at the end of the week and over the weekend and the last thing I needed was roughage but I'm feeling better now.

I really liked this. The corn is sweet and crunchy, the salsa adds flavor but isn't overpowering. There isn't much added sugar or fat. I have to admit, we're big fans of slaws - especially the ramen noodle version but this recipe is much lighter. A great recipe for ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday, it has broccoli, red cabbage, carrots, corn, and tomatoes - also apple cider vinegar which some believe is a miracle food product. I'll definitely make this again.

Question of the Day: What do you usually serve with Mexican food (or Tex-Mex - quesadillas, enchiladas, etc)?

6 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Sometimes I make rice but lately I haven't been making any sides with Mexican food because it's usually a bit heavy and rice seems like 'too much'.

Anonymous said...

I love ramen noodle slaw,you'll have to post your recipe for that.I can't find one like the one my friend used to make.
My son would disown me if I didn't make mexican rice and refried beans with our mexican.

Randi said...

On one hand Harley is feeling better, but the prednisone makes him act kinda weird. He's pretty tired and mopey. Thanks for asking.

I ususally serve Rice(brown) and beans with mexican food. A mexican friend of mine gave me two simple recipes for rice and beans and I never cook them any other way. I blogged about them back in December when we had our cookie exchange.

Heather said...

I am not much of a slaw person myself, but this looks doable.
With Mexican food I try to make a bit of brown rice so we can use it with leftovers the next day for lunch. I will also sometimes make corn which my mom always served with Mexican food.

Cate said...

Love delicious and so colorful -- printing out to add to my tro-try pile. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

yum!