Thursday, March 16, 2006

Sometimes simple is best ... sometimes it isn't




Pan-Seared Salmon
Weight Watchers Five Ingredient 15 Minute Cookbook Copyright 2005

4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon light butter

Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Add oil and butter to a large nonstick skillet, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add fish; cook 6 minutes, turning and browning evenly on all sides. Reduce heat to medium and cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 7 points, 292 cal, 15.3 gms fat, 36.3 gms protein, 0 gms carbs, 0 gms fiber, 88 mg chol, .6 mg iron, 321 mg sodium, 21 mg calcium

I had this salmon defrosted so I had to make it last night although I wasn't really in the mood to cook. Hubby was having deer steak so I only needed to make one serving of salmon, as usual, but I wasn't in the mood to do the complicated math required to reduce most of the salmon recipes I have. I should have made the Maple-Glazed Salmon or the Seared Salmon With Balsamic Glaze but I was looking for the simplest recipe possible and I found it in the Weight Watchers Cookbook. This can hardly be called a recipe but it was in there.

I managed to destroy the beautiful fillet by trying to flip it with tongs. This wasn't bad and the salmon is good enough to stand on it's own but I prefer a bit of glaze on my salmon. I also prefer to broil it because there's less stink that way. The house reeked of fish last night.

Maybe next week I'll get my groove back. I'm still trying to clean out my pantry and freezer but I managed to select some good recipes, I hope.

Question of the Day: Do you get burned out on cooking and need to recharge every now and then?

4 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I tend to get burned out on just about everything - I have a short attention span. It's unbelievable that I've been blogging regularly for over 6 months now. Most of my hobbies don't last that long LOL. But we have to eat so I whether it's a simple recipe or something more complicated, it's not that hard to keep this thing up.

Randi said...

Funny you should say that, I feel so burned out now, I've been cooking sooooooo much, but I have no choice because I do it for a living.

Anonymous said...

I don't cook very often anymore simply because everyone's schedules are so wacky, they aren't home in time for supper hardly ever! My oldest would rather eat a bowl of cereal when he gets home, DH is OK with scrambled eggs or grilled cheese and youngest son works at a steak place so he comes home telling of snacking on prime rib (poor baby!)

I'm more inclined to make a salad and eat it for a few days with grilled chicken (not exactly culinary!) Your salmon looks yummy. When I cook fish, I just light a candle and turn on the exhaust fan (helps some).

Plese, keep on blogging! I enjoy your posts a lot!

Anne Coleman said...

Ahhhh more salmon! I could eat it daily I think :)

I get burned out with 6 kidlets and one VERY picky hubby! But, it never seems to last very long-I'm too addicted :)