Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A no-brainer



Spaghetti With Butter And Parmesan
365 Ways To Cook Pasta Copyright 1988

12 ounces spaghetti, spaghettini, vermicelli, or capellini
¼ pound butter I'm not Paula Deen - I used a little bit less butter than this
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley (optional)

1. Cook spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente, or firm to the bite, about 7 to 10 minutes; drain.
2. Melt butter in a small skillet. I just melted it in the pot I cooked the pasta in - DUH!
3. Toss spaghetti with melted butter, cheese, and parsley, if using. Serve hot.

I just haven't been excited about cooking this week, mainly because I've been very tired. I didn't have anything planned for last night. Not a thing! So I took some of the chicken strips I buy for my son and turned those into Chicken Parmesan, using a small container of leftover jarred pasta sauce I had in the freezer and a chunk of mozzarella that was leftover from making pizza last week. Add a box of spaghetti (Barilla, not Dreamfields this time) and butter, Parmesan cheese and parsley and we had a meal.

It wasn't bad at all. Those chicken strips are processed chicken but they're not too bad, for a processed chicken strip. I wouldn't want to eat them all of the time but every once and a while I'm desperate enough to make a meal out of them for all of us. My son gets them for lunch once a week. I want to make him my own but it's a time-consuming process (I do the flour/egg/breadcrumb method, then pan-fry and finish them off in the oven) and I never get around to it.

I'm sure I could have found a more exciting recipe for my spaghetti in this cookbook but I was in a rush and made the first one I saw that I had all the ingredients for. I have to take a closer look at this book though. I've had it forever but it gets lost in the crowd on my bookshelf.

Question of the Day: How far ahead do you plan your meals?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to plan a week in advance,but it doesn't always happen.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Wow! I can finally get into my own comments. Blogger has been a nightmare the past two days.

Now I try to plan for the entire week, but sometimes there are 'gaps' or I change my mind about making something I had planned.

Before I started blogging, I would often not have a clue what we would be having until I got home from work. It's hard to remember those days. But it was only for about a year or so that I really had to worry about it. My husband used to work nights so I never had to worry about feeding him (or a child) until recently.

Randi said...

I usually decide the day of what we're having for dinner. But, I do have ideas in my head starting on Sunday.