Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Another yummy one
--Chops with Herb-Tomato Sauce



Chops with Herb-Tomato Sauce
Diabetic Living Slow-Cooker Meals Copyright 2005

4 pork rib chops (with bone), cut ¾-inch thick
Nonstick cooking spray
1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp. quick cooking tapioca, crushed
1 ½ tsp. bottled minced garlic (3 cloves) I used fresh garlic
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
2 14 ½ oz. cans no-salt added stewed tomatoes, undrained I only used one can

1. Trim fat from chops. Lightly coat 12-inch skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add chops; cook on both sides until brown. Set aside.
2. In 3 ½- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine onion, tapioca, garlic, Italian seasoning, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt and crushed red pepper. Add chops. Pour stewed tomatoes over chops.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or high-heat setting for 3 ½ to 4 hours.
4. To serve, transfer chops to serving plate. Using slotted spoon, spoon tomatoes over chops. If desired, drizzle with some of the juices.

Makes 4 servings.

Per serving: 241 cal, 6 g fat, 62 mg chol, 287 mg sodium, 19 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 27 g pro
___________________

I was tending to a sick child yesterday so I never got around to posting. Actually, the sickness passed rather quickly but I had to keep him home 24 hours per daycare rules. With a sick child I may have had time to post but with a well child I didn't get a moment of peace.

I did have time to throw this recipe in the crockpot. I know I sound like a broken record but it was surprisingly good for something so simple and it exceeded my expectations. I didn't even realize until later that I was supposed to use two cans of tomatoes but one was really plenty. The meat was tender and flavorful. Meat braised with tomatoes always reminds me of my mom's beef vegetable soup so maybe it was nostalgia that made me like this so much.

I'm supposed to bake something for that bake sale on Thursday and I still have no idea what I'm going to make or when I'm going to make it. The basics are signed up for already. I wish I could get red velvet cake mix in my local stores. My sister makes cupcakes from it with the whipped cream cheese canned frosting on them and it's really an excellent combination. Best boxed mix and canned frosting combination that I've had. Boxed cake is never a problem really (not for me - I think it's great) but there are only a few canned frostings that I enjoy.

Well I have to cut this short - I'm way behind on the work that pays the bills.

No comments: