Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Not very pretty but tasty
--Pork Medallions with Sherry-Mushroom Sauce



Pork Medallions with Sherry-Mushroom Sauce
The Good Carb Cookbook Copyright 2001

1 pork tenderloin (1 pound)
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
¾ teaspoon dried rosemary
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt I omitted this - there was salt in my lemon pepper
Olive oil cooking spray
½ cup dry sherry
2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms I used more

Sauce:
¼ cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon cornstarch
½ cup nonfat or light sour cream

1. Rinse the meat and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut the tenderloin crosswise into 8 slices. Using your palm, flatten each piece to about ½-inch thickness. Combine the lemon pepper, rosemary, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl and stir to mix well. Rub some of this mixture over both sides of the pork medallions.
2. To make the sauce, pour 1 tablespoon of the broth and all of the cornstarch in a small bowl and stir with a wire whisk to dissolve the cornstarch. Add the remaining broth and the sour cream and whisk until smooth.
3. Coat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the pork medallions to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes or until nicely browned. Spray the tops of the medallions lightly with the cooking spray, turn and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until nicely browned on both sides and cooked through. Remove the medallions to a plate and cover to keep warm.
4. Add half of the sherry to the skillet use to cook the pork, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until most of the sherry has evaporated. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to brown and release the juices. Add the remaining sherry and cook, stirring frequently, until the sherry is reduced by half.
5. Reduce the heat to medium and pour any juices that have accumulated on the plate containing the cooked tenderloins into the skillet. Add the sour cream mixture to the skillet and stir to mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly. To serve, place 2 of the pork medallions on each of 4 serving plates and cover with some of the sauce. Serve hot.

Per serving: 200 cal, 8 g carbs, 73 mg chol, 4 g fat, .5 fiber, 26 g protein, 310 mg sodium, 46 mg calcium
_____________________

This was okay but honestly, you could have stopped after you seasoned and cooked the pork. It was very tasty on it's own. My son had his without the sauce and he kept asking for more. I finally had to cut him off so that there would be enough left for my husband. Then when my husband was eating (he had a dentist appointment so he ate much later), my son asked for more pork again! I think he was having a growth spurt or a tape worm last night.

I didn't even bother making a starch with this. I was going to make mashed potatoes but I think I'm the only one who really eats them anyway so I just had some high fiber toast with mine, along with green beans and salad. I might have been the only one who ate the mushrooms.

I'm really itching for some new cookbooks but they closed the bookstore near work so I need to wait until the weekend.

Blast From The Past: Marinated Flank Steak from May 2007. I'm using this marinade on a cheaper cut of meat tonight. I told myself that I was going to pick up some nice steak no matter what the price but the good steaks just didn't look that good for the price. I couldn't do it. So I picked up some cheaper sirloin I've had luck with before. Then I had to run back to the store the next day and the NY Strips were on sale for a nice price but I already had the sirloin.

Question of the Day: Do you like mushrooms?

5 comments:

Wanda said...

I LOVE then! And that dish sounds DELICIOUS!

ThursdayNext said...

I love love love mushrooms! I love mushroom ragus and stuffed mushrooms and adding cream of mushroom soup to quick casseroles and grilled portabello mushrooms! Mmmm!

Anonymous said...

Yes, love them. Your recipe sounds delicious....but "not very pretty"? I think that's an understatement. LOL! At first glance, I thought those were oysters on top.

Jan

Unknown said...

I LOVE mushrooms and this sounds fantastic! I think I'd really like it. Mmmm!

Anonymous said...

OK, I agree... it's not the prettiest dish I've seen. But, looking at the recipe, I bet it is DELICIOUS!