Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A simple one
--Lemon Grilled Asparagus



Lemon Grilled Asparagus
Dana Carpender’s Every Calorie Counts Cookbook Copyright 2006

1 pound asparagus
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced

Snap the ends off of the asparagus where they want to break naturally. Discard the ends and place the spears in a plate with a rim – a glass pie plate will do nicely.

Mix together the lemon juice, oil, and garlic, and pour the mixture over the asparagus. Turn the asparagus this way and that, to coat. Let it sit.

Heat the tabletop grill. When it’s good and hot, lay the asparagus in a single layer. Grill for 10 minutes, and serve.

Yield: 3 servings Per serving: 61 cal, 5 g fat, 2 g protein, 4 g carbs, 2 g fiber
__________________

Here's a quick one that wasn't planned. My mother-in-law gave me some asparagus from her garden on Sunday. The flavors in the recipe are simple but I was more interested in how it would come out using my Griddler. The Griddler gave it a nice grilled flavor since it really caramelized the asparagus. The stalks were quite thin and got pretty soft but I have to admit I like my vegetables cooked soft.

This was definitely faster than roasting the asparagus in the oven. I plan on using the Griddler to grill many more vegetables. My old George Foreman grill didn't work very well for thin items but the Griddler is great for them.

This is one of my newer cookbooks that was written by the same author who wrote many low-carb cookbooks but unlike many of those books, this one focuses on healthier recipes. Some of those other low-carb books are filled with high fat, high protein, high calorie recipes.

Okay, back to my little break.

3 comments:

DancesInGarden said...

That looks good! And I just happen to have a handful of spears waiting to be used, from my garden.

ThursdayNext said...

LOL...you better take a real break this time! My sis made some asparagus the other night and my nephew and I inhaled it!

Unknown said...

Oh my yum! This looks great! I did some balsamic asparagus the other day and it was fantastic. Love asparagus.