Monday, February 18, 2008

Not what I remembered
--Strawberry Mousse



Strawberry Mousse
The Ugly Binder, from a church cookbook

3 pkg. (small) red jello I used raspberry
3 cups boiling water
1 pkg. frozen strawberries I added about 10 oz because I think that's how big the pkg used to be
1/2 pint sour cream I used lite

Make jello and let cool. When jello is cooled, beat sour cream well into jello. Add
strawberries with juice into above mixture. Grease mold with small amount of
vegetble oil for easy removal for serving. Let stand overnight.
_____________________

All through my first pregnancy I thought about a jello mold that my sister made a few times years ago. This time around I finally asked her for the recipe and she couldn't remember of course. She found this one in a church cookbook but it wasn't as creamy as the one I remembered, not in color or texture. I thought it was very tasty so I could be misremembering the color and texture. Oh well, like I said, these were very good and I finally got to use the little molds I bought quite a while ago.

I tried to Google the recipe but there's a very popular jello mold with sour cream on top that keeps coming up. I think I might just need to add more sour cream to this recipe to get what I want.

I've never had jello set faster. I was putting something away in the refrigerator less than an hour later and I moved the bowl that held the leftover jello, that didn't fit in the molds, and I noticed it was already set!

Blast From The Past: Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes from February 2006. I've been in the mood for pancakes and I have the day off so I'm going to go make some right now.

Question of the Day: Do you like Jello?

4 comments:

M Smith said...

Do I like Jello? Ick no! :-) It's a texture thing. I don't like things that wiggle in my mouth. Nothing 'jelled.'

In fact, it's sorta a big joke in my family. I was 16 and I had to have my tonsils taken out and I was promised all the ice cream I could eat etc. Well, of course, those that have ever had the surgery know it's a big lie because the last thing doctors want you to eat post surgery is dairy (creates phlegm.) Sooo when I woke up after surgery I was ravenous (can't eat for 12 hour prior to surgery so I was going on 24 hours without food) and what was on the tray in my room? Jello. I cried. My sisters thought it was the most hilarious situation.

Anonymous said...

FINALLY.....a food I don't like, and as you may have noticed, they are very few! I've never liked the feel of it unless it's very softly jelled with lots of additions to it. When I was a child, the doctor recommended it for my anemia. I would have it softly jelled and mixed with evaporated milk (full strength).

Jan

Heather said...

I like jello, but don't often make it because it really does nothing for me... like provide nutritional value or even fill me up. Gees I sound like a snob. I like jello if it is in things: strawberry pretzel salad for one.

Unknown said...

It depends on the day. During warm weather...yes!