Tuesday, July 08, 2008

My bad
--Fusilli Salad with Salami and Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette



Fusilli Salad with Salami and Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette
The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook Copyright 2006

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 (8-ounce) jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, patted dry, and minced I used only about half the jar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper
1 pound fusilli I used a 14.5 oz box of Smart Taste Rotini
8 ounces salami or pepperoni, cut into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks
8 ounces provolone, cut into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks
½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Whisk the oil, sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper together in a bowl large enough to hold the salad. Cook the fusilli in 4 quarts boiling water seasoned with 1 tablespoon salt until tender, about 14 minutes. Drain the pasta thoroughly, then toss while hot with the dressing. Refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.

Serves 8 to 10.
____________________

I made this with only two changes - using less sun-dried tomatoes since I wasn't sure how my husband would feel about them and I used a smaller amount of pasta. It was a bit bland - bland enough that I added some bottled dressing. Then I realized I was supposed to add the dressing to the hot pasta which I didn't do. I bet that would have made a big difference. Their instructions are usually so long-winded and the one time they are short and concise, I mess up!

It turned out great though. I thought it was one of the best pasta salads that I've had. It was gone within 24 hours and it was only us eating it. I continue to love this cookbook.

Question of the Day: What do you like in pasta salad? Do you like a creamy dressing or a vinaigrette?

4 comments:

Annie said...

Now that looks awesome and my kind of recipe. So simple and I love everything in it.

When I make pasta salad I usually just throw in whatever I have in the fridge and it end up tasting pretty good. I usually make a vinaigrette but I actually want to try America's Test Kitchen's creamy macaroni salad. It sound really good.

DancesInGarden said...

Either/Or. I love pasta salad in general. Except for the store bought kind that is macaroni with those red pepper bits and there is a bitter aftertaste LOL.

ThursdayNext said...

I am all for creamy dressings with pasta...not a huge fan of vinaigrette and oil based dressings for macaroni salads.

Anonymous said...

My cousin makes a version of this anytime he goes to pot lucks. Love it so I'll have to try this recipe.

I like either in my salads, just depends on the recipe.