Tuesday, March 01, 2011

A slightly redesigned tuna melt


Tuna Artichoke Melts

Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook Copyright 2009

1 can (6 ounces) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked the can I had was only 5 ounces
1/3 cup coarsely chopped water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise I used regular
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided I used sharp cheddar
1/4 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
2 English muffins, split and toasted I used a lite, high fiber version

In a small bowl, combine the tuna, artichokes, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup cheese, lemon-pepper and oregano. Spread over English muffin halves. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; broil 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

Yield: 2 servings.
________________________________________

It's not that I don't love the more traditional version of tuna salad with celery and onion but it was so nice to have a tuna salad that was a bit different for a change, and this version has less chopping involved.

Usually when I reach for the lemon pepper seasoning, to sprinkle on something that I am free-styling, I take a whiff of it and put it back since it has a strong, odd smell, if you ask me. But in this small dose, I thought it worked really well. This wasn't so outside-the-box that people expecting traditonal tuna salad would be put off. I would definitely make this again.

I can't believe it's March! As much as I dislike the cold and especially snow and ice on the roads, I am disturbed by how quickly winter is passing by, by how quickly life is passing by.

No comments: