Monday, February 28, 2011

Using It Up: Yogurt


Frosted Chocolate Loaves
Reader’s Digest Cakes 1,001 Classic Recipes from Around the World Copyright 2003

2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
¾ cup plain yogurt I used banana baby yogurt
¾ cup butter (1 ½ sticks), melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate Frosting
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons butter, cut up
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons plain yogurt I used banana baby yogurt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 9x5-inch loaf pans and dust with cocoa. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Beat in the eggs, yogurt, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until just blended. Spoon the batter into prepared pans. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the loaves in the pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto racks and let cool completely.

Chocolate Frosting: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over barely simmering water. Set aside to cool. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and yogurt. Spread the loaves with frosting.
_________________________

I had some organic banana yogurt that I bought for Dan, since he likes those crappy, sweet and fancily colored yogurts so much, but he did not care for 'good' stuff. I figured the chocolate would disguise the banana flavor. I'm not sure it did. This had a taste, not sure if I would call it 'odd', but it was a taste that was somewhat different than I was expecting. It may have just been the yogurt, not the banana flavor. It wasn't bad but this didn't knock my socks off but chocolate is tough category to compete in. My coworkers seemed to enjoy it but it didn't tempt me all that much, which is not a bad thing.

And that's all I have to say about this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks really good, but I'll bet the banana threw the flavor. I LOVE anything made with cocoa!