Monday, February 21, 2011

Good but not cheap


Marinated Mushrooms
Taste of Home More Fast Fixes With Mixes Copyright 2009

2 pounds fresh mushrooms
1 envelope (.7 ounce) Italian salad dressing mix I used the zesty variety
1 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Remove mushroom stems (discard or save for another use). I the stems on. Place caps in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and cool.

In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the salad dressing mix, water, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and seasonings; shake well.

Place mushrooms in a large bowl; add dressing and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired.
________________________

I love marinated mushrooms but the jarred ones are often too vinegary for my taste or too expensive. These had just the balance I was looking for in the marinade but they weren't cheap to make, even though I only needed to pick up the Italian dressing mix and mushrooms to make these. Mushrooms aren't cheap. Even in Costco they were over $3/pound I believe. Those mushrooms were too big though. Great for many things but not what I wanted for this recipe.

I was hoping to find smaller mushrooms in the grocery store. They weren't as small as I would have liked but they worked a little better. They were 2 for $5 for 10 ounce containers. I bought 3. Not a cheap recipe but I will definitely eat every last mushroom and I did make a lot of mushrooms. Hopefully I will soon be going to Friday night auction (the farmer's market) again and maybe I will find cheaper mushrooms. I would love to make these again.

Dry Italian dressing mix is one of those lucky ingredients for me. I've had a few winners with that ingredient. Easy Italian Spiced Pork, Sautéed Shrimp and Vermicelli, and Zesty Cucumber Dip were all good recipes that used Italian dressing mix.

8 comments:

Siri Vivienne Marie Khalsa Maglana said...

This is one great vegan recipe, I can add this up on my collection . I will send you a feedback as soon as I have done this.

Pilar said...

Yum. Went to our local produce terminal yesterday and got 2 boxes of mushrooms for a #1.00! I was thrilled! Perfect timing! BTW: So happy to see you back on a regular basis. Hope life is looking brighter.

Annie Jones said...

I see mushrooms on sale once in a while at 8 oz. for a dollar. I'm going to try this next time they are on sale. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I share your passion for cookbooks and mushrooms. I'm interested in timing on this, any idea how long they would keep? Tell me please if they are better after a few days or fresh. Thank you.

Brownieville Girl said...

They look fantastic - I love all these flavours.

Unknown said...

I love the mushrooms and it is such a great way to keep them, lovely for Antipasti, just love them, you got a lovely Blog!

Mrs. L said...

A good recipe to watch for mushrooms on sale! Love the fact that you are letting us know approximate costs of stuff.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

These look great! I love mushrooms, but agree with you that the store made ones are too vinegary. I am a fellow cookbook junkie, with no end in sight. Just ordered another one from Amazon yesterday. Ah well, at least I'm in good company :-)