Thursday, February 10, 2011

Custom made party mix



Party Mix
Best Recipes From The Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars Copyright 1979, 1981, and 1982

6 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 tsp. seasoned salt
4 tsps. Worcestershire sauce
2 cups Corn Chex cereal I used all Corn Chex
2 cups Rice Chex cereal
2 cups Wheat Chex cereal
¾ cup salted mixed nuts I didn't add nuts


Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Heat butter in 13x9x2-inch baking pan in oven until melted. Remove. Stir in seasoned salt and Worcestershire sauce. Add Chex and nuts. Mix until all pieces are coated. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on absorbent paper to cool. Makes 6 ¾ cups.

After this was cooled I mixed in roasted garlic rye chips and bbq corn chips.

Note: Party Mix may be frozen, so make a double batch. Thaw at room temperature in container in which is was stored. Really?? I would have never thought of freezing this stuff. It doesn't last long enough around here for freezing.
_______________________________

My older son loves party mix but he is usually just after a few of the snacks in the mix. I give him a bowl of party mix, he returns with a bowl of pretzels. I don't like the pretzels either. We only have a few options when it comes to ready-made party mixes. I'm not sure if this is still true but the prepackaged Chex mixes stopped being an option for us after his peanut allergy diagnosis since they were labeled for cross-contamination.

So I decided, why not make our own? It isn't really less expensive since the rye chips and bbq corn chips weren't cheap but there was definitely less waste. You could just stick your hand in and get something you like, instead of navigating around the pretzels.

This was ridiculously addictive and ridiculously salty. Next time I am definitely using less seasoned salt or maybe I will use some other seasoning without salt since the butter and Worcestershire sauce add more than enough. I may even replace some of the Worcestershire sauce with lemon juice. I seem to recall either having or someone telling me about a Chex mix recipe that used lemon juice.

I just now ate the very last bit of this party mix. That makes me sad. But it's late and this stuff does take a while to bake - the one negative I can find in this recipe - so we won't be having any more of this until the weekend probably.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

I think the whole "leftover pretzel syndrome" is pretty common...at least I know it is in my house!!

Anyway, please forgive me if I missed something (I do that a lot!), but you say this takes a long time to bake...and I don't see anywhere in the recipe where it actually says how long?

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Oops! How did that happen? I added the bake time - 45 minutes! A long time but worth it.

Lauren said...

Thanks!!

M Smith said...

Love Chex mix. and nowadays, the Chex website has so many different variations. I made the caramel Chex mix this past weekend and vowed to never make it again. Unless I want to buy new pants.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Holy Chex! Thanks for that tip. I just looked at their site and I can't believe all of the Chex recipes! I don't even know where to start. The Lemon Buddies are calling to me I think.

Liz in PA said...

I make a Spicy Chex Mix variation in a big bowl in the microwave. Only takes 6 minutes (in 2-minute intervals, stirring between). Then you spread it out on a paper-towel lined baking sheet to cool. I think the original Crispix cereal mix had microwave directions, too.

Liz

Meaghan said...

Thank you for your article, pretty worthwhile material.