Monday, October 16, 2006

My first waffles




Whole Wheat Applesauce Waffles
Have Your Cake And Eat It Too Copyright 1993

butter-flavor no stick cooking spray
1 large egg
2 tablespoons canola or safflower oil
3 tablespoons nonfat vanilla or plain yogurt
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon dark corn syrup or granulated sugar I used the sugar
¼ cup toasted wheat germ
¾ cup 1% milk, or as needed
½ cup unsifted all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour or buckwheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup pure maple syrup, warmed

1. Lightly coat the waffle iron with the cooking spray. Preheat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions. Before I started, I had already followed the manufacturer's instructions and used a light rub of solid shortening on the iron so I didn't use any spray oil.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, and yogurt. Beat in the applesauce, corn syrup or sugar, wheat germ and milk.
3. Set a strainer over the bowl and add both flours, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, With a spoon, stir and sift the dry ingredients onto the wet ingredients. Mix well. (If the mixture must stand for any length of time, you may need to add a little more milk, a tablespoon at a time.)
4. Spoon the batter onto the bottom panel of the waffle iron, close it gently, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes (models vary in timing), until the jaws can be opened easily. If the iron sticks, the waffle is not yet baked through. When the waffle is done, use a fork to gently pry it up. Repeat until all the batter is used. You should have to regrease the surface only rarely, but if the waffles seem to stick, lightly spray the waffle iron again. Serve the waffles hot, with the warm maple syrup.

Makes 15 4-inch waffles. Per waffle with 1 tablespoon syrup: 133 cal, 3 g pro, 3 g fat, .4 g sat fat, 26 g carbs, 111 mg sodium, 15 mg chol
______________________________

I'd say that my first attempt at homemade waffles was a success, although there were a few hiccups. Well, one hiccup. The batter was too thick, nothing that a bit more milk wouldn't have solved, but being a waffle virgin, I had no idea it was too thick until my waffles came out incomplete (it didn't spread enough) and I didn't get as many waffles as the recipe said I would (I got 8 and had batter for about 2 more but I got lazy and discarded that last bit.) The recipe lead-in said this batter was too moist (I would assume that meant thin) to use for pancakes but this batter was as thick or thicker than most pancake batters.

As for taste, I thought these were really good. My son enjoyed one too. I froze the extras. I can't wait to make waffles again. I already have my next recipe selected.

I'm so excited. My new bookshelf is on the truck, heading to my house today. By next week, you may be able to see my cookbook collection in all it's glory. It's been a long time since it was small enough to keep all in one place so I'm anxious to see it all together myself. It's going to be so much easier to select recipes when I have all of my cookbooks in one place. I'm sure I'll rediscover a few oldie-but-goodies that have been hiding away.

Blast From the Past: Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes from February 2006. Another great breakfast option if you don't have a waffle iron.

Question of the Day: Do you own a waffle iron? Do you use it often?

9 comments:

MommyProf said...

Those waffles look awesome. We try to keep the kitchen appliances to a managable level, so no waffle iron.

Heather said...

We do have a waffle iron since the SO loves breakfast. I gave it to him for Christmas a few years ago. I try to get him to make the waffles though.

Unknown said...

I don't have a waffle iron, but several years ago I got my brother a Belgian waffle iron because that's the kind he said he liked. Funny thing, he doesn't like pancakes but will eat waffles. What's the difference? :-) My dad is famous for his pancakes and waffles.

Anonymous said...

I have a waffle iron, but haven't used it since the ex & I broke up. We used to make and eat waffles at least twice a month. Oh well...

DancesInGarden said...

I have a black and decker grilly thingy that has interchangeable plates. Grills, flat (great for grilled cheese or toasted panini), sandwich triangles, and waffles. Somewhere between a regular and a belgian waffle in grid size.

I make them a couple of times per year, DH and DD prefer toaster waffles. They just don't know what is good, that's all.

Kim said...

I'm with your brother, Claire. I detest pancakes, but adore waffles! I've had a waffle iron for ages, and love making them. Nothing beats a hot, crispy waffle!

My favorite waffle recipe is actually more of a dessert. It's the chocolate waffle recipe from "The Joy of Cooking." It's divine, warm from the iron, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. They also freeze well to eat later, if there are any left!

Anonymous said...

I have a waffle marker, that does the waffles in sticks...a Hamilton Beach Waffle StiX and Cameron loves them! I make a batch about once a month and he has waffles about once a week from the frozen extras. So far his favourites are ones with chocolate chips and dipped in warmed peanut butter...I know your son can't have PB but something else would be just as good. The ones Kim talked about sound HEAVENLY and I may just have to dig out my Joy of Cooking book for the recipe!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Well, I hate to tip my hand, but the waffle recipe I selected for next weekend is a chocolate waffle recipe so stay tuned, Rebecca. It's not from the Joy of Cooking but it might be similar - I'll have to look that recipe up.

Anonymous said...

I have an awesome waffle iron, makes hotel style belgian waffles. They are sooo good, but large. Thinking of getting one that makes smaller more shallow waffles. We eat pancakes/waffles at LEAST twice a week. My kids are sooo spoiled :) Imagine heading off to school with a REAL breakfast every day.