Monday, October 02, 2006

Yummy brownies and our first winner!


(Christmas version - I used cookie icing and sprinkles after baking and cooling the brownies. You can also add sprinkles before baking the brownies.)

Chocolate Chip Brownies
Taste of Home Grandma’s Favorites Copyright 2006

1 cup butter, softened
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips I used mini-chips
1 cup (6 ounces) vanilla or white chips
1 cup chopped walnuts I omitted these

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until blended (do not overmix).

Pour into two greased 9-in. square baking pans. Sprinkle with chocolate and vanilla chips and nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. I halved the recipe and made one pan that was done in under 30 minutes. Cool.

Yield 3-4 dozen.
________________________________

The woman who submitted this recipe to Taste of Home claimed that she always carried copies of the recipe when she brought these brownies anywhere since she was asked for it so often. Many contributers make that claim about their recipes and I fall for it every time. It must be good if the recipe is in such demand, right?

These brownies were actually very, very good for a cocoa brownie. I wasn't crazy about the white chips I had but they didn't manage to ruin these for me. Next time I might do a combination of milk and dark chocolate chips. The yummiest variation (if you are so lucky as to be able to enjoy peanut butter instead of seeing it as an evil poison that has the potential to take away your reason for living) would probably be peanut butter chips. These were so easy to whip together. I only made a half batch so my coworkers really missed out. There weren't enough left over to bring to them.

**update 12/2011 - I have made these brownies so many times. They are great to stack in a treat bag for teachers. I dress them up for the holidays in various ways. I like milk chocolate chips. I never use the white chips anymore.

Okay, here's the moment you've all been waiting for. The winner of the September cookbook giveaway is...................................


Tina! She tells me she's a fellow cookbook addict so I think the book will be in good hands. Stay tuned for the October giveaway announcement.

Speaking of cookbooks, I painted my spare room yesterday. What does that have to do with cookbooks? Well, I painted the room since in a couple of weeks, I'm getting a new bookcase for my cookbooks. My collection has become too unruly and I really need a centralized location for them. I can't wait.

A Blast From The Past: Fudge Drops from October 2005. Another great chocolate recipe.

Question of the Day: Where do you keep your cookbooks?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

These look good. Last week I was craving brownies and was going to make them when friends came for dinner, but my roommate told me that one of the guys doesn't really like chocolate. So...I made chess squares instead. I keep my (very few)cookbooks on a small book shelf but I'm about to put some on shelves as decoration!

Randi said...

i have boxes of cookbooks still out in the garage( we emptied out our storage space). I have the rest on different bookshelves all over the house.

I have a new cookbook waiting for me at my mail box place in MI. King Arthur Flour WHOLE GRAIN baking book. I also won Trish Boyle's Cake book on ebay.

Annie said...

It's stinks that your son is allergic to peanut butter :( because that would be an awesome combo!

My cookbooks are stashed in the bottom of my china cabinet(I don't have china). And unlike you, I actually don't have that many cookbooks.

Anonymous said...

Yum on those brownies, must try.
I must be randi's twin, boxes of cookbooks in the garage since we emptied our storage. The rest are in a bookshelf in the TV room or one in the kitchen.
Don't ask where the twenty years collection of Bon Apps and Gourmet are.

Anonymous said...

My books are on a shelf in the kitchen - not an enormous number. Also there are five recipe boxes. But the big problem is all of my loose recipes - in boxes, in sacks, on top of the microwave - you get the picture! Yes, I need an Ugly Cookbook.

Jan

Anonymous said...

My cookbooks are one one shelf in a wall unit thing in the dining room. When we made the big move recently we didn't have a big moving allowance and this house is smaller than our 'real' house so I got rid of LOTS of cook books/ cooking magazines/ect. I only have about a quarter left now.

Heather said...

These look great and I am so craving brownies.
My cookbooks start in a cabinet in the kitchen, then expand to a bookshelf in the living room and now I have made room for them in my office at home. Countless food magazines are all over the house. I can't wait to organize.

Anonymous said...

Hi!! I am from India.

Was in USA for 7 years and got hooked on to baking there.

The cookie looks yummy!! Will surely try it. I too have a lot of cookbooks. Have made a special bookshelf for them.

Anonymous said...

I keep my 6 cookbooks, 16 issues of Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country, and 2 binders in the kitchen. I am working on cooking all of the recipes in all of them, so I don't want new cookbooks, but I cheat by printing out new online recipes and putting them in my binders :).