Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Not as good as the unhealthy version but still good



Raw Broccoli Salad
Splenda No Calorie Sweetener Copyright 2004

4 cups (about 2 pounds) broccoli florets or broccolini
¼ cup minced red onion
2 tablespoons Splenda Granular
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds shelled, roasted and salted I omitted these
3 tablespoons seedless raisins

Chop broccoli or broccolini into florets. Set aside.

Whisk together remaining ingredients in medium bowl. Add broccoli. Toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve.
______________________________

This recipe was on my 'to make' list for quite some time. A few weeks ago, Claire made a version of this and then broccoli went on sale a few days later so I figured that was my cue to make this. I had made a much heavier version of broccoli salad, with cheese and bacon way back when and I'm not going to lie, that version is much, much better. This salad was way too 'dry' for my taste. I had to mix up more dressing to make it passable. But, I still ended up with a decent broccoli salad that is much lighter than the other version.

This is my contribution to Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday this week.

A Blast From the Past: Broccoli Slaw from March 2006. Another light, broccoli recipe that I've mean meaning to make again.

Question of the Day: When did you last eat broccoli?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry that it wasn't up to par! I honestly don't think I used the amount of broccoli that the recipe called for, so the dressing covered it well. I also may have added more vinegar!

I had broccoli last night when I went to eat with my mom at "Up the Creek." I also have some in my refrigerator.

Anonymous said...

Just a few day ago. I love broccoli and we have it about once a week, usually steamed. I also add it to salad. From day one, all of my grandchildren have loved it. When one was about age 3-4 and I was keeping her, she would request it for breakfast! Do most children like it?

Jan

Annie said...

I ate it last just yesterday. I eat it at least 2-3 times a week, sometimes more!
I guess I'm a broccoli junkie ;)

DancesInGarden said...

I buy fresh broccoli for my canary, Frankie. When it starts to get too wilty for him to eat, I cook it up and eat it myself ROFL. Pretty bad when a bird turns it's nose up at something, then I deem it fine for ME to eat.

So I eat it at least once per week. Usually steamed (okay, nuked) but sometimes raw with ranch dressing or dip.

ThursdayNext said...

Morningstar Farms makes these nice broccoli and chedder veggie bites that are fairly healthy. The broccoli is in thick chunks, so its yummy.