Tuesday, October 31, 2006

This was supposed to be something else



Balsamic Vinaigrette
The America’s Test Kitchen’s Family Cookbook Copyright 2006

¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons minced shallot or red onion I used shallots
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (optional)
½ teaspoons fresh oregano or ½ teaspoon dried oregano I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried (oops!)
½ garlic clove, minced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

Shake all ingredients together in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. The dressing can be refrigerated for up tp 7 days; bring to room temperature, then shake vigorously to recombine before using.
___________________________________

I've really been enjoying a basic free-styled balsamic-canola oil- salt-pepper-honey dressing on our salads lately but I had shallots I needed to use for something. I bought them after seeing them at a decent price, and thinking they were an option in a recipe I had planned but they weren't.

I messed up and added too much oregano but since I had made the dressing ahead of time, the taste wasn't too strong by the time we ate it.

I had a couple of other posts lined up but I lost my head and completely forgot to load them into blogger last night. I hope I get a chance tonight because this morning I discovered that my dishwasher is not working and I have a ton of dishes to wash tonight. That dishwasher is only a couple of years old and I'm very PO'd right now. The old dishwasher was 20 years old and worked fine up until the end when it sprung a leak. I would have just had it repaired had I known how much better it was than a new dishwasher. This is what I don't understand - the old dishwasher never needed 'additives' (like Jet Dry) but the newer, supposedly advanced dishwasher, needs this stuff all of the time. Is this progress? I probably spend $50 a year on additives.

A Blast From The Past: Honey French Dressing from April 2006 - another simple dressing that we loved.

Question of the Day: How old is your oldest major appliance?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My oldest appliance would probably be the stove...it belongs in the apartment, which is many years old.

Anonymous said...

Our frig is 19 yrs. old. We've only had to tweak it twice. I recently retired a washer that was 24 yrs. old. Had it repaired several times and hated to see it go. :( I passed a dryer on to my son and it's still working at 27 yrs. old, you just have to prop the door shut!!
Darn, I wish they still made appliances like they used to.

Jan

DancesInGarden said...

All of the appliances were bought when we bought the house, so about 11 years. The microwave so far is the only thing that we have replaced (and then repaired).

BUT. The fridge doesn't work so well anymore and the clothes washer is starting to leak. I think we are in for some changes soon.

Annie said...

Everything is only about 2 years old. My dishwasher sticks too. It is loud, slow and I can't fit much in it.

Anonymous said...

My washer died a couple of years ago, at 26, but my freezer is still going strong after 47 years, and residing in an unheated garage all that time.