Monday, October 23, 2006

Not what I was expecting




Sinfully Chocolate Waffles
Best of the Best From America Cookbook Copyright 2005

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons cocoa
2 eggs, separated
1 ½ cups low-fat milk I used Super Skim
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
4 tablespoons vegetable oil

In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and stir to mix well. Add egg yolks, milk, maple flavoring, and oil. Mix well. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; add to batter mixture. Bake in waffle iron as you would any other waffle.

Serve with Mapeline Syrup or other syrup if your choice. Yields 6-8 waffles.

Mapeline Syrup:
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
½ teaspoon maple flavoring

Mix together and bring to a boil. Serve warm with waffles.
___________________________

These waffles weren't what I thought they would be. I pictured dark, chocolatey waffles but as you can see that isn't how they turned out. As soon as I saw that they only called for 3 teaspoons of cocoa, I knew they wouldn't be very chocolatey but it was too late to turn back. And the lead-in raved that these were the best waffles ever, so I was curious.

It turns out that these were very good waffles. Crispy on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. I loved the hint of chocolate and maple flavor in the waffles. Hubby ate two large stacks of them, reheated, over the weekend. My son ate part of one. I'd say there were a success.

The syrup though, was not. I only made it because I was out of maple syrup but later I remembered I had some Mrs. Butterworth's Lite in the cupboard. Thank God because the Mapeline syrup was pretty flat. A bit of salt and a pat of butter might have perked it up if I didn't have any other options.

Next time I want chocolate waffles, I'm going to try the chocolate waffle recipe from Joy of Cooking that was mentioned in the comments last time I made waffles.

This cookbook is rather interesting. Two women travelled the country for years, compiling 'best of' cookbooks for every state (sometimes a few states were combined into one book). This book highlights a few recipes from every state (these waffles are from Montana). The interesting thing is that it seems as if almost all of the recipes are from other cookbooks (regional cookbooks). Dang! I missed my calling.

By the way, this was my 300th recipe, from 122 cookbooks!

A Blast From The Past: Meatballs Stroganoff from November 2005. I'm making these again tonight but I tweaked the meatballs a bit. I didn't think they were tender and flavorful enough last time so I added some soaked bread and more seasoning this time.

Question of the Day: What kind of syrup do you use on pancakes or waffles? Or do you like something besides syrup on pancakes and waffles?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use sugar free maple syrup that I add some real maple too. I've stopped using the " light syrups" because they are nothing more than corn syrup( HFCS) with maple flavoring. Its amazing how just a small amount of real maple syrup added to sugar free tastes. Cooking Light has a good waffle that I've made a lot. Banana buckwheat. Good and healthy. Is funny, we;re always on the same cooking wavelengh. I made some waffles with ice cream on sat night for my neices dessert.

Anonymous said...

I use real maple syrup. I grew up using it, and nothing compares!

Wanda said...

I'm not big on waffles or pancakes. And as for syrup, I don't remember buying any, really. I guess DH or one of the kids buys it. What kind? I couldn't even tell you...except that it's brownish, not clear. *shrug* I do eat them once in a great while when someone else (like my granddaughter) just HAS to have them.
I can remember being very young and waking up my sister(s) in the morning asking them to make me pancakes. I'd get mumbling groans and incoherant gripping for awhile but eventually she'd get up and either make them for me, or be grumpy at me. LOL!

Anonymous said...

What? Grumpy? Couldn't have been me, must have been the other sister!

If we ever do have pancakes, we use sugar free maple, but we very seldom have them.

Jan

Heather said...

I think I use 100% maple syrup from Kroger, probably not realy stuff, but we like it.

Unknown said...

We use Lite syrup. I've tried sugar free and it just is nasty. However, I might have to try Randi's suggestion. I don't usually eat waffles or pancakes now, but on waffles I use syrup. However, I love to heat some preserves so that they "melt" some and put that on pancakes. it's really good. Of course you can always add fruit directly to the pancakes and that's yummy too. Oh, one more thing, if you have leftover pancakes try making a PB&J pancake sandwich...especially with silverdollar pancakes!

DancesInGarden said...

Don't eat them often, but we always had corn syrup or "table syrup" - maple flavoured corn syrup LOL growing up. The few times we had real maple syrup it was too watery and tasted off to me. I think I prefer fake maple to real maple.

A friend gave me a container of Steens syrup once, and man oh man was THAT stuff good on waffles and pancakes.

Anonymous said...

I had to go check! It's maple flavoured syrup. And they are even better with lots of cream (or maybe ice-cream...) I find the brad I have at the moment a bit runny, I used to buy a different brand of (fake)maple syrup but haven't been able to find it for a while.

PS Congrats on 300 recipes! That's a huge achievement.