Saturday, September 10, 2005

So that they did not die in vain





Ever since my son started eating bananas, my freezer has become a graveyard for overripe and half-eaten bananas (not half-chewed, BTW). NOTE: Do not believe 20-month old when he insists that he wants a banana and promises to eat it all. Also, DO NOT store bananas on top of the microwave!

So in order to reclaim that space in my freezer, I chose a couple of banana recipes to start things off.

Upside Down Banana Pecan Muffins
Favorite Brand Name Bake Sale Cookbook Copyright 1997

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup chopped pecans I only had 1/2 cup
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In small bowl, combine brown sugar and butter. Stir in pecans. Place 1 tablespoon nut mixture into 14 greased muffin cups; set aside. In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In small bowl, beat together eggs, oil, bananas and vanilla. Stir oil mixture into flour mixture just untill all ingredients are moistened. Fill prepared muffin cups with batter. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until muffins test done with wooden pick. To serve, invert muffins onto plate.

Makes 14 muffins. I only made 12 although I could have make 14 but who makes 14 muffins???

Black Magic Banana Cupcakes
Favorite Brand Name Bake Sale Cookbook Copyright 1997

2 extra-ripe, medium bananas, peeled
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk I had no buttermilk on hand so I did the vinegar and milk trick
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa I was down to my last 4 tablespoons so that's all I used
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place bananas in blender (1 cup)
Mix bananas, egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla
Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add banana mixture. Stir until just moistened.
Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Lightly coat with vegetable spray. Fill two thirds full with batter.
Bade in 350 degree oven 25 minutes.

Makes 12 cupcakes I made 6 jumbo cupcakes and I filled a custard cup with the excess batter.

So how were they? Both were good. I'm not sure I understand the point of the upside down muffins. They might have looked better if I had used my straight sided jumbo muffin pan but they look sort of silly made in regular muffin cups. They taste just like you would expect. They were enjoyable but not probably something I would make again, mainly due to their appearance.

The Black Magic Banana cupcakes were very moist. This cookbook doesn't include nutritional info but these only have 1/4 cup of oil so I think they're probably healthier than many other cupcake recipes. They would be wonderful with a cream cheese or sour cream frosting. I left them unfrosted and they really are tasty all on their own. I would definitely make these again.

I've made many recipes out of this cookbook, The Favortite Brand Name Bake Sale Cookbook. Even though it's a brand name cookbook, most of the recipes are from scratch, although there are many that start from cake mix and such. I left out the brand names in these recipes but they were just Dole bananas and Wesson oil. I didn't use either and the recipes turned out fine. Imagine that!.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paula,

It is a good thing I became a cookbook junkie after I moved from a major city in Ontario. There is actually a store called "The Cookbook Store." It is a decent sized store and....and...and...there are cookbooks as far as the eye can see. In all shapes, colours, and sizes...Oh sorry. I didn't mean to drool!

I haven't been in it since I developed my addiction. I shudder to think of the damage my finances would take. OUCH.