Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Stinky but yummy




Seared Salmon with Balsamic Glaze
The Gourmet Cookbook Copyright 2004

¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup water
1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
4 (6 oz) center cut pieces salmon fillet with skin
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Stir together vinegar, water, lemon juice and brown sugar in a small bowl.

Pat salmon dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 2-onch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Increase heat to high, add salmon skin side up, and sear until well browned, about 4 minutes. Turn fish over and sear until just cooked through 3-4 minutes more.

Transfer salmon to plates and carefully add vinegar mixture to skillet (liquid will bubble vigorously and steam). Simmer, stirring, until thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 2 minutes. Spoon glaze over salmon.

Since my husband was having leftover Peasant Goulash tonight (see previous post) I had to scrounge something up for myself. I keep salmon portions on hand so I pulled one out of the freezer this morning. I quartered the recipe. This was wonderful. If I didn't hate the way my house smells after cooking salmon, I would make this more often. I think the glaze might be good with chicken too.

I paid more for The Gourmet Cookbook than any other book in my collection, $25. For that reason, if no other, I plan on trying plenty of recipes from this book. Most of the recipes are probably a bit too sophisticated for us but there look to be plenty of winners buried in there.

No comments: