Thursday, April 30, 2009

More belt tightening


Basic Food Processor Pie Crust
Big Kitchen Instruction Book Copyright 1998

1 ¼ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons very cold butter
2 tablespoons very cold shortening
¼ cup ice water

Put flour and salt in the bowl of the food processor. Pulse 1-2 times to blend. Add butter and shortening, cut into small chunks. Pulse 4-5 times, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle on 1 ½ tablespoons of the water and pulse twice. Repeat with another 1 ½ tablespoons of the water. Finally pulse in the last tablespoon of water. Do not overmix or the dough will become tough. Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic. Handle it as little as possible. Refrigerate for 30-35 minutes before rolling out. Do not double this recipe.

Makes 1 9-inch pie crust.
_____________________

My mother-in-law wanted to give us eggs even though I already had two dozen at home. I don't usually cook eggs for dinner due to my son's egg allergy but that allergy is likely out-grown and I knew he wouldn't eat it anyway. He doesn't always eat what I make so why not add egg-centric entrees back to our rotation?

I pulled out an old favorite, Quiche Lorraine. As part of my money-saving plan, I didn't want to buy the pie crust so I found this simple little recipe. It was very easy to put this dough together and it rolled out nicely. It doesn't really star in this recipe so I can't tell you whether or not it's a great pie crust but it served it's purpose here.

Not much else to say. There is something making it's way through our house and food is not all that appealing to me right now.

Question of the Day: What's the last thing you did to save money?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm trying to use up stuff in my pantry, rather than shop so much (because I know if I even enter the grocery store I'll spend lots of money).

I've also started themed nights, based on cheapness. One is breakfast for dinner, as breakfast is a pretty cheap meal, another is pasta night, as it's also inexpensive.

Anonymous said...

I did really well on meat purchases the last time. One market I go to always has meat specials and that's what I get, even if I have some at home and will use it later. I got boneless beef ribs for $1.47 lb. These are lean and I cook them as I would a roast. Really good. Also got wings for 99 cents lb. We love baked wings.
I also catch other specials that I can use now or later.

Jan

Sara said...

watching what i buy at the grocery store - trying to plan a few days in advance so i don't have to make a bunch of trips to the store and over buy, but not so far in advance that stuff starts going bad.