Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Simple enchiladas


Beef and Cheese Enchiladas
from myrecipes.com

8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/4 pounds ground beef
1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
Kosher salt
Black pepper
2 (16 oz.) jars enchilada sauce
1 3/4 cups shredded Cheddar
1 3/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack

Preheat oven to 375°F. Wrap tortillas in foil and keep in oven for 10 minutes.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder; season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer beef to colander to drain.

Pour 1 jar of enchilada sauce into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spoon about 1/3 cup ground beef and 5 Tbsp. mixed cheeses inside each warm tortilla, roll up in cigar fashion and place enchiladas seam side down next to each other in baking dish. Cover evenly with second jar of enchilada sauce and remaining cheese. Bake in 375°F oven until bubbling, about 15 minutes.
__________________

Last week when I was reviewing myrecipes.com I picked out a menu. This was one of the recipes. Admittedly, I picked it for the simplicity. It was fine but I don't think I'm a huge fan of canned enchilada sauce, at least not the brand I brought home. I tried to hold back on the cheese and also I used a lower fat cheddar so that made the sauce stand out even more. I added some lite sour cream and green onion and it was a good dinner overall. I really liked the rice I freestyled (cooked rice, leftover corn, green onion, butter and a sprinkling of Chamberlain's Steak Rub).

Sorry about the brief post but I'm squeezed for time this week.

Question of the Day: Do you go out for Mexican very often?
We have a great Mexican restaurant near work that we go to whenever we have a group lunch, a few times a year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fairly often. We have two really close by and gobs not far away in every direction. I love Mexican food.

Jan

Mrs. L said...

I love Mexican but rarely go out for it. That being said, we had relatives in town and we all went out Sunday to my Mom's favorite Mexican restaurant.

Can I ask what brand of canned enchilada sauce you bought that you weren't fond of? I've actually bookmarked a few enchilada recipes that call for canned sauce and have been meaning to go get some at the store.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

This was El Rio which I bought because it came in a 16-oz can as the recipe called for but I think I could have used less easily.

I believe I have used El Paso in the past and enjoyed it. I will stick to that brand in the future.

Rochelle R. said...

What an excellent photo, it made me hungry just looking at it. Where I live there is a taco shop or two on almost all the main streets. We like to go to a regular sit down restaurant that has really festive decor.

Donna-FFW said...

I love mexican food and these look wonderful. And so easy to make at home!

La Pixie said...

I am Mexican, so you can imagine that I eat Mexican food all the time. however, there is nothing like going out and letting someone else do the work! we usually go out for Mexican food (living in AZ theres tons of places) 2-3 times a month.