Friday, October 09, 2009

It's National Pork Month!


Georgia Pork
State Fair Prize-Winning Recipes Copyright 1996

1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into bite-size pieces
1 1.25 oz package taco seasoning mix I used homemade
1 cup medium-spicy chunky salsa
½ cup peach preserves
2 cups hot cooked rice
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro I left this out
Nonstick cooking spray

Toss pork with taco seasoning mix in a medium bowl to evenly coat pork. Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat and add pork. Cook, stirring frequently, until pork is cooked through (3 to 5 minutes). Stir in salsa and preserves. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Serve over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Serves 4.

363 calories, 26 g protein, 3 g fat, 893 mg sodium, 63 mg chol, 59 g carbs, 1 g fiber
_______________________

This was a super simple recipe that I got from a very nice free recipe booklet I requested from somewhere on the internet a while back. I see it here but that page isn't working for me right now. Maybe you'll have better luck or maybe you can find it somewhere else.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. It reminded me of Costco peach-mango salsa. I would definitely make this again. I could see why it won a prize.

Mine didn't look as tasty as the picture in the book which had chunks of fresh peaches which aren't called for in the recipe. I understand trying to make a picture look good but commercial food photography with undercooked food, fake food and taking liberties such as adding or changing ingredients, kind of bugs me sometimes. It especially bothers me in a cookbook since I think you should be looking at pictures of the food as it will look when you follow the recipe, not what it looks like when some food stylist constructs it from Play Doh or just cooks the outside of the food with a torch.

Oh wow, I just read that October is National Pork Month. You can celebrate with this recipe.

Question of the Day: When did you last eat pork? How was it prepared?

5 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I ate pork leftovers twice yesterday! Lunch was leftover Moo Shu Pork Noodles and dinner was leftover Maple-Balsamic Pork that you posted a little while ago. It was yummy!

We love pork and eat it just about every week. :)

Heidi said...

I've made a dish with all the same food items, except it used chicken breast (and no cilantro). It was wonderful. I can't wait to try out this version with pork.

Anonymous said...

We eat pork a lot, probably once a week. It seems to be on special so often, so it's a very good bargain. The last pork I cooked was a portion of a loin in a "cook-in-the-bag" thing that comes with the seasoning. Talk about easy! It was delicious.

Jan

Cyndi said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I have several packages of taco seasoning to use up, since I don't like to use it in my taco meat. (My daughter gave them to me). I think the sweet-savory mix sounds yummy. I'll most likely use apricot preserves - that's what's in the fridge and it's pretty close. As for the question of the day: The last time we ate pork was over two weeks ago! We had schnitzel, with kartoffelsalat (German potato salad) and rotkohl (red cabbage).

Angie's Recipes said...

Just had soya-braised pork two days ago...
Georgia pork sounds pretty interesting.
Angie's Recipes