Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Almost a disaster
--Swiss Steak in Foil



Swiss Steak in Foil
Our Favorite Meats Favorites From Home Economic Teachers Copyright MCMLXVI

1 c. catsup
¼ cup flour
2 lb round steak, 1-in. thich
1 large onion, sliced
2 tbsp. lemon juice or 1 lemon, thinly sliced (opt.)

Combine catsup and flour; spoon one-half of mixture into center of a large piece of aluminum foil. Place steak over mixture; season with salt and pepper. Cover meat with onion slices and remaining catsup mixture; sprinkle with lemon juice or top with lemon slices. Fold foil over top; seal edges securely. Place in shallow baking pan. Bake at 450 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until meat is tender. Remove foil; cut steak into pieces.

Yield: 5-6 servings
______________________

Often, it only takes one thing to ruin a recipe, or come close to ruining it, and in this case it was the cooking temperature. My gut told me it was too high and I did turn the oven down to 400 degrees after a while but I think that was still too high. The bottom of the meat was quite brown and the meat was getting dry. If I cooked it less, it wouldn't have been tender enough. It definitely needed a lower temperature.

The flavor was good and the meat wasn't browned enough to ruin the meal but had I cooked this at 450 degrees the entire time, I might have been looking for something else for dinner.

I'm burned out already this week. I had four days off and tried to catch up around the house and I did a lot of cooking, mostly to use things up around here, not really 'fun' cooking.

Blast From The Past: Chocolate Buttermilk Pie from November 2006. I really wish I had a piece of this pie right now.

Question of the Day: What was your last cooking disaster (something that never made it to the table)?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know there was something a while back, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I even enlisted the help of my DH, to no avail. I guess we mercifully blocked it from our memory.

Jan

ThursdayNext said...

as per usual around here, it was a dessert in a springfoam pan - i forgot the parchement and half of the cake split when i went to take the top off. :)

Anonymous said...

An entire turkey!! I wanted to use up a "free" turkey from the grocery store that had been sitting in the freezer taking up space. I guess it was freezer burnt or something...I'm still not sure what happened. I'm not one for basting, but when I did take it out of the oven the meat was separating from the bone. When I de-stuffed it, it crumbled. What a disaster!!! I was counting on that for at least two meals that week too! Ugh.

Randi said...

I made fried chicken for Robin, it made it to the table, but then right into the trash. I told her I didnt want to fry, but she begged me. I also made a veg chili and you were supposed to add 1/3 c of cous cous to thicken it up. I added WAY TOO much couscous and it was more like couscous with beans. I had to throw it out.