Thursday, October 25, 2007

Too deer-y
--Venison Stroganoff



Venison Stroganoff
301 Venison Recipes The Ultimate Deer Hunter’s Cookbook Copyright 1992

2 pounds of venison roast
4 tablespoons of margarine
1 small can sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion
1 ½ cups beef broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup I used the low-fat version
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
6 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
4 cups hot cooked noodles

Dice onion and sauté with can of drained mushrooms in 2 tablespoons margarine. Remove from pan. Slice venison into ½-inch by 2-inch strips. Add the rest of the margarine to the pan with the venison strips and brown. Remove venison from pan. To the pan add the flour, beef broth, cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, and teriyaki sauce. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Return to the pan the onions, mushrooms and venison and let simmer for about 1 ½ hours, or until the venison is tender. Stir in the sour cream just before serving. Pour over hot noodles and stir.
___________________________

Although I soaked this meat all day, usually I soak it overnight. It was still a tad bit gamey. It helped that I made this the night before we ate it. It mellowed out but I still had it in my head that it tasted too strong. My son asked for seconds and thirds and my husband liked it so I think it was more of a mental thing with me. The sauce was great. You could easily do this with beef or pork.

I was actually starting to worry that I might never go back to Costco. I know, a strange thing to worry about but as much as I enjoy it, I need to be able to justify the expense. However, after this week's grocery shopping I'm ready to hit Costco again. The grocery store circular looked so promising, with such low prices on the loss leaders in the meat department. But the pork that was on sale was so fatty that the price didn't seem too good afterall. And once again, they had cube steaks and beef cubes on sale and the cube steaks I saw weren't on sale and there were no beef cubes at all. At least I know when I go to Costco, everything is at a decent price and it's really good quality and I don't have to spend 15 minutes searching for items that are supposed to be on sale but aren't even there (and yes, I could get a raincheck but that doesn't help me when I already have a menu planned with that meat).

I noticed another price increase this week. The lunch meat I usually buy if nothing better is on sale went from $2.99 to $3.49. A 50 cent jump. A 17% increase. Yikes.

I did make an impulse buy - reduced fat pumpkin spice egg nog. It's like drinking pumpkin pie! Totally worth it.

Blast From The Past: The New York Reuben from May 2007. I've been craving a Reuben or a Rachael.

Question of the Day: Do you like egg nog?

13 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

Its weird: I love coffee and desserts that are flavored like egg nog, but I dont actually enjoy egg nog itself!

. . . said...

i don't like egg nog. i can't place my finger on why i don't like it. but i try it again every holiday season hoping that i will change my mind and i dislike it every time.

Anonymous said...

Loooove it!

Jan

Maggie said...

Looks wonderful. Unfortunately I have a problem with venison - rudolf!

Anonymous said...

You know, I have noticed the increase in prices recently and it's starting to irritate me. I just cannot believe how much we spend on groceries!

Anyway, I used to like egg nog but not anymore ... too sweet! However, this holiday season I plan to try to make "real" egg nog and see how that comes out.

Rebel In Ontario said...

I like egg nog but find it too sweet and too thick, so I cut it by half with skim milk and then.....YYYUUUUUMMMM.

Randi said...

I love it, I usually buy the "lite" egg nog. I had to buy 5lb bag of russet potatoes for the senior meal. I paid 3.49, up from 2.99. I had to buy 4 bags, ridiculous if you ask me.

meddlingkidd said...

I like spiked eggnog ;)!

Anonymous said...

Paula, what is a Rachael?

Jan

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Jan,

A Rachael is a Reuben made with smoked turkey instead of corned beef.

Kim said...

We had rachels served in our dorm in college, but they were reubens without sauerkraut. I liked 'em!

I like egg nog, but I often can't get past the thick texture. Light egg nog, or even better, Silk soy nog gets around that problem for me. I actually bought Pumpkin Spice-flavored Silk yesterday at Wal-Mart, and it's simply heavenly!

Brilynn said...

I do like egg nog! I like it hot with rum and I like it frozen as an ice cream!

Anonymous said...

I like eggnog and have enjoyed a few recipes, but I don't crave it like I do woth eggnog flavored recipes. From Cook's Country, I really liked the Whipped Eggnog Sweet Potatoes and the Macadamia Eggnog Creams (cookies). I also want to try their Eggnog Bundt Cake and Eggnog Whipped Cream Topping! We also like the Eggnog-Oat Scones with an (optional) Whisky Glaze from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking; the scone part was a little dry but the eggnog flavoring they call for from LorAnn Oils was great!