Thursday, October 18, 2007

Meat free
--Pierogi Casserole



Pierogi Casserole
The Potato Cookbook Copyright 1987

15 lasagne noodles
2 cups cottage cheese
1 large egg
¼ tsp. onion salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups mashed potato
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. onion salt
1 cup butter of margarine I used light butter and much less than 1 cup
1 cup chopped onion

Cook noodles as directed on package. Drain. Spread 5 noodles on the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish. In a medium-sized bowl combine cottage cheese, egg and onion salt. Spread over noodles. Cover with 5 more noodles. Combine cheddar cheese, potatoes, salt, pepper and onion salt. Spread over noodles. Cover with remaining noodles. Melt butter in frying pan. Sauté onions slowly until clear and limp. Pour over noodles. Cover. Bake 30 minutes in 350 degree oven. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with sour cream.

Serves 8.
____________________________

We like pierogi so I thought this would be a nice meatless meal for us. I used Dreamfield lasagna, 2% cheese, lowfat cottage cheese and light butter to lighten it up a bit. It was pretty good but I thought the cottage cheese layer was a bit bland and little bit too liquidy. I would drain it next time and add salt and pepper.

I'm finally having a lot of luck finding meatless entrees. I avoid (straight) eggs and beans due to my son's allergies (he is not definitely allergic to either of those things but they are maybes so we avoid). That limits us a bit.

Blast From The Past: Caramelized Pork Slices from May 2007. I may make this next week. It's easier to repeat recipes when I get down to the dregs of my freezer stash.

Question of the Day: Do you have any suggestions for meatless entrees that don't feature eggs or beans?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/004295creamy_shrimp_and_broccoli_fettuccini.php

This is an excellent entree..

I always look at recipes on elise's site!

Unknown said...

Eggplant spaghetti sauce (recipe is on my site), veggie stir fry, SOUP! :-)

Sara said...

i have a vegetarian section in my recipe archive. there's some stuff without eggs or beans. poor your son....i could live without eggs but not beans.

MommyProf said...

Veggie fajitas
Eggplant parmesan
Cheese enchiladas

ThursdayNext said...

cheese quesidillas, stuffed tomatoes with rice and veggies, lettuce wraps with tofu :)

Annie Jones said...

We like pasta dishes with cheese and/or veggies, cheese enchiladas and breakfast dishes (like baked oatmeal or waffles) for dinner.

My first time here, but I'll be back...I gave you a link.

Carla said...

PIEROGIES!!! I never would've thought a casserole-like dish either. Definitely on my to-make list because my family eats pierogies at least twice a month, if not more. That is, when I'm home from school lol

That stinks your son can't eat peanuts. I live off of peanut butter. At least you can still enjoy it when he's not around :)

Anonymous said...

Ratatouille...yummy. My husband likes it with French Bread. I like to roll it in a whole wheat tortilla and top w/ sour cream.

My son has dairy, peanut, and egg allergies. :(