Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pennies a serving
--Potatoes Lyonnaise



Potatoes Lyonnaise
Greatest Ever Potato Copyright 2002

2 lbs 12 oz potatoes
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 onions, sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
Salt and pepper
Chopped fresh parsley to taste

1. Slice the potatoes into ¼-inch slices. Put in a large pan of lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for about 10-12 minutes, until just tender. Avoid boiling too rapidly or the potatoes will break up and lose their shape. When cooked, drain well.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil and butter in a very large skillet. Add the onions and garlic, if using, and fry over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are softened.
3. Add the cooked potato slices to the skillet and cook with the onions and garlic, carefully stirring occasionally, for about 5-8 minutes, until the potatoes are well browned all over.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the chopped parsley to serve.

Serves six.
____________________

I know, you don't really need a recipe for fried potatoes but often seeing a recipe reminds me to make something I wouldn't think of off the top of my head. I wouldn't want to eat these too often but they were a nice treat. Potatoes are very good for you so this is my contribution to Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-day Tuesdays. This recipe uses the potato skins which contain a lot of the nutrients.

This cookbook is called the Greatest Ever Potato (I think they mean Greatest Ever Potato 'cookbook'). I'm not sure about that but there are a lot of good recipes in there. With food prices creeping up, I figured it might come in handy. Potatoes are still inexpensive. Pretty soon maybe we'll be eating potatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I have been spending less on groceries but it's still more than I would like to be spending. But hey, if I spend $10 less per week that $520/year I'd be saving. I'm saving more than that. And stretching out my Costco visits will save me hundreds of dollars. There are really only a few items that I save substantial money on at Costco (honey, yeast, vanilla). And I save money buying their frozen chicken because it's easier to portion out and it contains less added solution than the grocery store version. Otherwise, I spend a lot on 'luxuries' from Costco.

Blast From The Past: Grilled Potatoes with Olive Oil and Thyme from January 2006. That's a healthier version of fried potatoes.

Question of the Day: Do you belong to Costo, Sam's Club or one of the other bulk-buying clubs?

5 comments:

RoSco said...

Although it doesn't seem as though it would make sense for me to belong to Costco as a single person household, I live in Hawaii, which has one of the highest costs of living in the country. After all, almost everything has to be shipped here! So yes, I belong to Costco. Me, household of one. I BELONG TO Costco. Costco owns me. I can spend hours and hours in that store, much to my boyfriend's amazement. Maybe that's why he loves me - I'm a cheap date.

Randi said...

I was just telling Robin we need to renew our costco membership. They have parmesean reggiano for 10.00lb which is insanely cheap. I buy a 2lb wedge at a time and it lasts about 4 months.

Unknown said...

No but my mom is...I go with her when I go home!

Rebel In Ontario said...

DH and I actually went last night and renewed our membership! Costco is a wonderful spot for staples in my house, bread, milk, eggs etc. I'm leary of fruits and vegetables as we don't seem to eat them fast enough and I seem to throw out more than we eat. Unless I have plans for something specific, they have it and I know we are using the whole quantity in a couple recipes/days.

Anonymous said...

Buy Fresh Garlic